1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant Velocities in 2D (Relativistic)

1. Oct 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's the question:

http://i.imgur.com/zs130b3.png

2. Relevant equations
    Just the usual Lorentz transform matrix etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://imgur.com/4Oipfu9
    Now, the last line is clearly incorrect, since it tends towards infinite relative speed as v --> c. Of course the initial answer of sqrt(2)v for the first part is fine because that isn't relative speed (I am pretty sure I have this part right - let me know if not). I have a feeling I can't 'Pythagorise' the 3-velocity part of Vrel4 to get a magnitude, but this is a bit of a guess. Vrel4 still seems to obey the V.V = (+/-)c^2 inner product identity so that points towards it being the correct 4-vector, although I may be wrong about that.

Thanks for any help.

(check the imgur links, pictures didn't work)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what you did, since you posted all your work in an image and I do not look at those---only at typed solutions. (Most other helpers won't look at it either.) Consult the PF Guidelines.

However, the way I would approach the problem if I were solving it would be to go into the rest-frame of ejected particle 1, and use Lorentz-transformation equations go get the (vector) velocity of ejected particle 2 in that new frame. From that, the relative speed is easy to get.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted