Resume Help for Undergraduates: What Counts as Listable Skills?

In summary, for an undergraduate resume, it is suggested to include a category for computer skills and list all skills that you are familiar with, even if they are basic. This includes programs such as MS Office, UNIX, MATLAB, and C. It is not necessary to be an expert in these skills, but rather to have a basic understanding and ability to use them. These skills can be listed on your resume and further details can be provided if requested by an employer. This approach is beneficial for job resumes as they are often scanned electronically for specific keywords.
Fantasmagoria
For an undergraduate resume, my school's advising suggests using a category such as computer skills and listing everything you're familiar with - the example is "ms office, unix, matlab, C" etc. My question is, how much do I need to know to of something consider it a listable skill? Example - I used MATLAB in a lab for a summer, but I really did only basic programming, and I forgot all the syntax within a semester since I didn't use it, but I feel like I could learn to do whatever I might need to do with it very fast. so what now? does it count? if it doesn't, then what does?

Thanks ahead of time for clearing up my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's my contention that you can put MATLAB as a computer skill...you know how to use it even if you are not an expert. If an employer or anybody like that ever wants to know more details about your experience with it, then it's up to them to ask.

Ugh...

I assume this is a resume for commercial jobs rather than grad school? The current situation with 'job' resumes is that they are scanned electronically, looking for specific (employer-provided) search terms. This favors you listing every specific skill you have, proficient or not, the mentality being that your only goal at this stage is to get an interview.

1. What types of skills should I include on my resume as an undergraduate?

As an undergraduate, you should include a mix of hard and soft skills on your resume. Hard skills are specific technical or job-related skills, such as computer programming or data analysis. Soft skills are transferable skills that are important in any job, such as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving.

2. How do I determine which skills are listable on my resume?

Any skill that you have developed through your education, part-time jobs, internships, or extracurricular activities can be listed on your resume. Think about the skills you have used or improved in these experiences and highlight the most relevant ones for the job you are applying for.

3. Can I include skills that I have only learned in a classroom setting?

Yes, you can include skills that you have learned in a classroom setting on your resume. However, it is important to also provide examples of how you have applied these skills in real-world situations, such as through projects, internships, or volunteer work.

4. Should I include skills that are not directly related to my desired career?

Including skills that are not directly related to your desired career can still be beneficial on your resume. These skills can demonstrate your versatility and adaptability, as well as showcase your diverse interests and experiences.

5. How many skills should I include on my resume?

There is no specific number of skills that you should include on your resume. However, it is important to be selective and only include skills that are relevant and showcase your strengths for the specific job you are applying for. Aim for a balance of both hard and soft skills and try to keep your list to a maximum of 10-15 skills.