1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resume help (undergrad)

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    For an undergraduate resume, my school's advising suggests using a category such as computer skills and listing everything you're familiar with - the example is "ms office, unix, matlab, C" etc. My question is, how much do I need to know to of something consider it a listable skill? Example - I used matlab in a lab for a summer, but I really did only basic programming, and I forgot all the syntax within a semester since I didn't use it, but I feel like I could learn to do whatever I might need to do with it very fast. so what now? does it count? if it doesn't, then what does?

Thanks ahead of time for clearing up my confusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    It's my contention that you can put matlab as a computer skill....you know how to use it even if you are not an expert. If an employer or anybody like that ever wants to know more details about your experience with it, then it's up to them to ask.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ugh...

I assume this is a resume for commercial jobs rather than grad school? The current situation with 'job' resumes is that they are scanned electronically, looking for specific (employer-provided) search terms. This favors you listing every specific skill you have, proficient or not, the mentality being that your only goal at this stage is to get an interview.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?