Resume Question - Where/What to put for research experience

In summary: Analyzed data to establish a new vibration granular system-Successfully analyzed data in order to establish a new vibration granular system-Managed and supervised research assistants-Completed research projects
MPKU
I've done research with a professor at my university and I am curious what to put on my resume for this experience. Do I list it as a job, skills, or campus involvement?

Currently I have this listened under my 'Work Experience' section:

Research Assistant, Kutztown University
• Assisted Dr. ------ in researching a vibrational granular system
• Measured and analyzed data

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what kind of job you are applying for, but generally speaking, the work experience section would be a sensible place to put it. If you are applying for a position in science, the way you have done it seems fine.

All depends on the job. I also have research experience on my resume. I listed it in the jobs section followed by a description of the details of the job. You may also want to consider it a project if you were leading the research and your professor was simply watching you. What you have now seems like a good start, but I would try to provide a little more details on the type of job you completed. I.e, "successfully analyzed data in order to establish a new vibration granular system" If your research was published, I would mention that in your resume along with a potential link to the paper or the title, publisher, etc. I would just try to emphasize how important your work was and how it relates to the job. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

That is work experience, for sure. You could list it as part of your "education", but that would make it seem less important.

Make the bullet points about the accomplishments you had during the research experience, not what your responsibilities were. "Assisted Dr. ----" sounds very vague, and it's not clear what you actually did. Did you write code for him? Did you operate or construct equipment for him? Maybe you spent most of your time fetching coffee for him, how would an employer know that wasn't the case? "Measured and Analyzed data" is slightly better, but it doesn't say how you did it. Did you write the code to analyze the data? or did you just brainlessly run a script to do it?

For one, an employer may ask these kinds of questions during an interview. It's unlikely that they'll quite so blunt, but they will ask you to clarify things you wrote in your resume. They're also more likely to be impressed if they actually know what you accomplished, even if it wasn't that significant. I say ditch the first bullet point, and expand the second one.

using MATLAB and Excel
• Conducted experiments and recorded results
• Assisted in writing and publishing a paper

I believe it is important to accurately represent your research experience on your resume. In this case, it would be appropriate to list your research experience under the "Work Experience" section, as it is a formal position that you held with a professor at your university. In addition to listing your responsibilities and tasks, it would also be beneficial to highlight any specific skills or techniques that you learned and utilized during your research, such as using MATLAB and Excel. It may also be helpful to include any relevant publications or presentations that resulted from your research. Overall, make sure to accurately and concisely convey the important aspects of your research experience on your resume.

1. What qualifies as research experience?

Research experience can include any type of project or activity where you have conducted investigations, gathered data, and analyzed results. This can include research conducted in a laboratory setting, field work, or data analysis of existing research.

2. Where should I include research experience on my resume?

Research experience should be included in the "Experience" or "Relevant Experience" section of your resume. If you have multiple research experiences, you can create a separate section specifically for research.

3. How should I format my research experience on my resume?

When including research experience on your resume, use bullet points to highlight specific skills and accomplishments related to each project. Begin each bullet point with an action verb and use quantifiable results when possible.

4. What if I don't have any research experience?

If you do not have any research experience, consider including any relevant coursework, projects, or internships that demonstrate your ability to conduct research. You can also highlight any transferable skills, such as critical thinking and data analysis, that would be valuable in a research setting.

5. Can I include research experience from a different field?

Yes, you can include research experience from a different field as long as it is relevant to the job you are applying for. Be sure to highlight transferable skills and explain how your research experience can be applied to the position you are seeking.