Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded potentials in disspersive media

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Are there any equations for these? I have seen in books for the vacuum case but not for a dispersive media.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very nice description of classical dispersion theory can be found in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics IV (Optics)

4. Jun 20, 2011 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Do they include the equations for a dispersive media though? I can get the basic theory from Griffiths (it's very well explained).

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The classical dispersion theory gives you the (complex-valued) dielectric function [itex]\epsilon(\omega)[/itex] from a simple damped harmonic oscillator ansatz for the electrons in the medium interacting with the incoming em. wave.

Quantum-field theoretically you find very similar results as the retarded in-medium Green's function of the em. field. Quantum mechanical dispersion theory on this linear-response level is not so different from the classical theory.

6. Jun 20, 2011 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Interesting. I am not that interested in complex mediums, just a simple multiplicative description.

7. Jun 20, 2011 #6

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't avoid it though. A dispersive media always implies a lossy media by virtue of the Kramers-Kronig relation. As vanhees states though, the simplest model for a dispersive media is a simple oscillator as modeled by the Debye relaxation (or its variants like the Cole-Cole, Cole-Davidson, etc.). I would use Debye relaxation as a basic start for modeling dielectric dispersion. As simple as it is, it's very useful in application as long as you realize that it is meant to be applied over a finite bandwidth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook