1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rethinking engineering and go something more pure?

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    Sould I rethink engineering and go something that deals with math and programming?
    I just got my frist exam of my calculus 2 which was 71% =(
    and on my calculus-physics exam I got 36% =.....( (cry) (I think it was becuase I never taken AP algbra based physics class)
    or
    Is my dad right that I need to give college and go become a blue collar worker.

I do not understand that I got A in calculus 1 (hardest professor in the college), A in precalculus(hardest professor in the college), and A in into to programming. (those terms I got a 3.2 and 3.4 ?_?)

what sould I do I am doing problems like crazy and losing sleep over these classes.

I am thinking as a backup plan to engineering is to get really good at Math and do actuary stuff.

I am lost

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2
    What were the class averages on the exams? I had a rocky start to physics myself, but I'm doing fine now.

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    An actuarial job is a business job where you must know a particular area of math well. It is not a math job you perform at a business.

If you’re in the US, then to become an actuary you will be required to take a battery of tests, some of which are far more difficult than any test you will take in any undergraduate class. Exam 4/C was more difficult than any test I took in graduate level physics (though the material, in general, was not).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook