I applied to universities X and Y. University X got back to me quickly and I visited and was relatively pleased with my visit. Recently I accepted this offer at X University, since University Y said I was wait listed. University Y says that they will have a couple of positions open, and they will e-mail the 'wait-listers' to let them know, and the position will be given out on a first come first serve basis. I REALLY would like an opportunity to look at University Y, I believe the program is slightly better and there is more faculty. I'm not really set in my ways on research, but have a general idea, so the breath of University Y's department would help. I plan on accepting the offer at University Y (assuming it will be there, and I will be first come) and then shortly after arranging a visit. Assuming all goes well I would keep the offer at University Y and retract my confirmation of acceptance at University X. If the visit was awful, I would tell University Y I would not feel morally or personally good about this, but this is a huge decision, and as much as it would pain me to go against my commitment, it would pain me more to give up a more fruitful opportunity. Would I be reprimanded for this action? I didn't sign any papers or anything confirming my acceptance.. I only sent an e-mail.