1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU program for math+physics freshmen

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    Hey everyone, I am a 1st year student with junior year standing in math and physics at univ. of Kansas and I just wanted to see if I have enough qualifications to have good chances at REU progrmas in math/physics for next summer.

In math, by the end of this year, Ill have had 2 semesters of real analysis, 1 of complex analysis, 2 semesters of abstract algebra, 1 semester in probability theory, and 1 in statistical theory. Also, I have no prior research experience in math.
    A few notes on math: I have the option to switch out complex analysis for a 3rd semester in abstract algebra on commutative rings, or I could switch out complex analysis for a 3rd semester in real analysis on measure theory.

In physics, by the end of this year, I'll have had 2 semesters of advanced mechanics, no semesters of advanced E&M, 1 semester in QM, 1 in mathemtical physics(basically applied math), and 1 in particle physics. As for research, a year ago I was involved in optics research that got published in physical review B(but I made minimal contributions, so im like a 50th author), I was participant in MIT's summer science Program during high school, and next semester Im getting inovolved in research on dark matter, but Idk if I'll make significant progress within one semester.

Do you think I have enough background to be a competitive applicant for the REU programs? If not, what is it that I'm missing? Should I stay with my current arrangement in math courses or do you think one of the other arrangements will make me a better candidate for REU programs?

Thanks for your opinions:)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Also, Idk if this really matters, but in physics ill also have had a laboratory in modern physics and an advanced laboratory in digital/analog circuit design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook