1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversible Adiabatic Process Question

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An Ideal Gas at 300K has a volume of 15L and a pressure of 15 atm. Calculate the change when the system goes under a reversible adiabatic expansion to a pressure of 10 atm. Gamma = 5/3. Cv = 1.5R. q = 0(definition of adiabatic processes).

2. Relevant equations

dw = P DV (lowercase means squiggly d and uppercase means straight d)
    P = nRT/V

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer in the book says w = 5130 J, which is the opposite of what I got for the internal energy.

First, I calculated n: n = PV/RT = 15 atm * 15 L / .08206 (L*atm / K * mole) * 300K

n = 9.14 moles

Then, I calculated Vf: Vf = [(Pf * Vi ^ (5/3)) / (Pf)] ^ 3/5

Vf = 19.13 L

dW = P DV
    dw = NRT

(dw = P DV so then work = NRT * Integral [DV/V]) ****This is wrong since T changes temperature between states*****

w = nRT ln(Vf/Vi)

Plugged in everything and the answer didn't turn out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2
    Your method looks to be fine, so you might want to consider the units. Rather than L, convert to m^3, and instead of atm, convert to pascals.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks for taking a look at the problem Gear300. The problem I found with my logic is that P, V, and T all are changing from state 1 to state 2 so I have to use the Internal Energy formula reversing the temperature. (i.e. Ti - Tf).

5. Aug 25, 2010 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure what the question is. Are you trying to find the work done? Find the change in temperature and use:

[tex]W = \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

AM

6. Aug 25, 2010 #5
    andrew,

That's what I ended up doing to get the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook