Ideal Gas Under A (Complex) Reversible Process

In summary, an ideal gas undergoes a reversible process, with linear segments to represent the stages. The Stage 2-3 is isothermal. The following relations are true: V_2=2*V_1, p_2=1.5*p_1, V_3=4*V_1, and V_4=6*V_1. The initial states are V_1=3m^3 and p_1 = 2.5 atm. Assuming that the internal energy of an ideal gas depends only on temperature, find the total heat received by the gas during the entire process also find change in enthalpy (H_1-H_5). Finally, find Q total by solving
memnoch3434

Homework Statement

An ideal gas undergoes a reversible process 1-2-3-4-5. The stage from 1-2 as well as isobaric 2-3 and isochoric 4-5 stages are represented by linear segments. The Stage 2-3 is isothermal. The following relations are true:

V_2=2*V_1
p_2=1.5*p_1
V_3=4*V_1
V_4=6*V_1
T_5=T_1

The initial states are V_1=3m^3 and p_1 = 2.5 atm.
Assuming that the internal energy of an ideal gas depends only on temperature, find the total heat received by the gas during the entire process also find change in enthalpy (H_1-H_5).

Homework Equations

pv=nRT

dw=p(v)dv

dw=pdv (isobaric)

dw=nRT*ln(v_f-v_i) isothermic

Q=U+W

H=U+pV

U=n*c_v*T+n*u_0 *****

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have calculated all the pressures and volumes for all points (in atm and m^3):
P_1=3
V_1=2.5
p_2=3.75
V_2=6
p_3=1.875
V_3=12
p_4=1.875
V_4=18
p_5=5/12
V_5=18

After that I started trying to find either n or T, but I am guessing the point of the problem is to solve it without those. So moving on to find Q total, I noticed that without T, this problem involves at least 4 unknowns. So my troubles come in calculating the work from 1-2 since pressure is non constant and not any special type of process, and from eliminating n and T from the equation for q total.

****This is also the chapter in the book before we talk about the energy of an ideal gas, so I am assuming that we are not to use that equation, but just in case there it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clarify what stages are isobaric, isochoric, isothermal, adiabatic, etc. better. I'm royally confused.

Linear segments on what type of plot?

Last edited:
Sorry about that just tried to copy the problem word for word. But looks like I made a mistake typing, sorry about that.

Isochoric- 4-5
Isobaric- 3-4
Isothermal- 2-3
No specified adiabatic processes.

The plot is a P-V diagram.

memnoch3434 said:

Homework Statement

An ideal gas undergoes a reversible process 1-2-3-4-5. The stage from 1-2 as well as isobaric 2-3 and isochoric 4-5 stages are represented by linear segments. The Stage 2-3 is isothermal. The following relations are true:

V_2=2*V_1
p_2=1.5*p_1
V_3=4*V_1
V_4=6*V_1
T_5=T_1

The initial states are V_1=3m^3 and p_1 = 2.5 atm.
Assuming that the internal energy of an ideal gas depends only on temperature, find the total heat received by the gas during the entire process also find change in enthalpy (H_1-H_5).

Homework Equations

pv=nRT

dw=p(v)dv

dw=pdv (isobaric)

dw=nRT*ln(v_f-v_i) isothermic

Q=U+W

H=U+pV

U=n*c_v*T+n*u_0 *****

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have calculated all the pressures and volumes for all points (in atm and m^3):
P_1=3
V_1=2.5
p_2=3.75
V_2=6
p_3=1.875
V_3=12
p_4=1.875
V_4=18
p_5=5/12
V_5=18

After that I started trying to find either n or T, but I am guessing the point of the problem is to solve it without those. So moving on to find Q total, I noticed that without T, this problem involves at least 4 unknowns. So my troubles come in calculating the work from 1-2 since pressure is non constant and not any special type of process, and from eliminating n and T from the equation for q total.

****This is also the chapter in the book before we talk about the energy of an ideal gas, so I am assuming that we are not to use that equation, but just in case there it is.

By the end of your last chapter, I assume it discussed Cv and Cp. Because unless it avoided the adiabatic equation pV^γ = constant, it had to mention that γ = Cp/Cv.

By definition, Cv =∂U/∂T|V but since U = U(T only), then Cv = dU/dT.

My first suggestion is to plot all your p's and V's on your p-V diagram.
Then: what is ∆W on a p-V diagram when any two states are plotted?
Can you readily see what ∫pdV and ∫Vdp are on your diagram?

Combine the plot with dU = dQ - dW and pV = nRT and you can proceed step-by-step thru all 5 states & arrive at ∆U.

Then of course ∆H is immediately available since you now know p5 and V5.

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first acknowledging the complexity of the reversible process and the limitations of the given information. While the equations provided may be useful in certain scenarios, it is important to consider that an ideal gas may not always follow these exact relationships and that there may be other factors at play.

With that being said, I would start by using the ideal gas law (pv=nRT) to calculate the number of moles (n) of gas present in the initial state (1). From there, I would use the given relationships to calculate the pressures and volumes at each stage, keeping in mind that the internal energy of an ideal gas depends only on temperature.

To find the total heat received by the gas during the entire process, I would use the equation Q=U+W, where U is the change in internal energy and W is the work done on the gas. The work can be calculated by subtracting the area under the pressure-volume curve for each segment (1-2, 2-3, 4-5) from the area under the temperature-volume curve for segment 2-3. This will give the work done on the gas during each stage, which can then be added together to find the total work.

To find the change in enthalpy (H_1-H_5), I would use the equation H=U+pV and calculate the enthalpy at each stage by adding the internal energy (calculated from the given temperature) to the product of pressure and volume.

In conclusion, while the given equations may be helpful in some cases, it is important to approach this problem with a critical mindset and consider all possible factors that may affect the behavior of an ideal gas.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles with no volume and no intermolecular forces. It follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related.

2. What is a reversible process?

A reversible process in thermodynamics is a process that can be reversed by infinitesimal changes in the external conditions. This means that the system can return to its initial state without leaving any trace on its surroundings.

3. How does an ideal gas behave under a reversible process?

Under a reversible process, an ideal gas follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. This means that if any of these variables change, the others will also change in a specific way.

4. What makes a reversible process complex?

A reversible process can be considered complex if it involves multiple steps or involves changes in all three variables (pressure, volume, and temperature). In these cases, the process may not be easily reversible or may require more precise control to maintain reversibility.

5. What factors can affect the behavior of an ideal gas under a reversible process?

The behavior of an ideal gas under a reversible process can be affected by factors such as the number of moles of gas, the temperature, and the external pressure. Changes in these variables can alter the behavior of the gas and may affect the reversibility of the process.