Reversible AND universal elementary cellular automata

In summary: As I indicated in #2 that is my instinct too (and more valuably it also seems to be Stephen Wolfram's), but instinct is not enough as @Jarvis323 points out.Just in case anyone is thinking that we could do some impossible things with a reversible computing machine (like "unmultiply" a number to find its factors in polynomial time), note that (i) we can't (which hints at some of the characteristics of a reversible computer) and (ii) reversible computing is widely studied and has origins at least as far back as Charles Bennett's definitive paper Logical Reversibility of Computation from 1973.
Giulio Prisco
TL;DR Summary
Has any of the reversible extensions of the elementary one-dimensional cellular automata described by Wolfram in NKS (e.g. Rule 37R) been shown to be computationally universal (like Rule 110)? If so, please give me links. Otherwise, could this be the case? Or is there a proof that no nR can be universal?
Has any of the reversible extensions of the elementary one-dimensional cellular automata described by Wolfram in NKS (e.g. Rule 37R) been shown to be computationally universal (like Rule 110)? If so, please give me links. Otherwise, could this be the case? Or is there a proof that no nR can be universal?

Technology news on Phys.org
Likes Giulio Prisco
pbuk said:
Interesting question, answers don't seem easy to find. Given that we can easily construct e.g. a NOR gate with a second order (reversible) cellular automaton I would have thought we should be able to construct a UTM. This paywalled paper could be useful: https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-540-92910-9_7

Thanks, I have that paper.

Wolfram mentions Rule 37R as an example of “cellular automata with class 4 overall behavior” (NKS, Chapter 11). “I strongly suspect that all class 4 rules, like rule 110, will turn out to be universal,” he says.

The NOR gate is universal, so I would think that if a second-order reversible 1D cellular automata supports NOR gates that can be arbitrarily combined, then it is universal. Or not?

Giulio Prisco said:
The NOR gate is universal, so I would think that if a second-order reversible 1D cellular automata supports NOR gates that can be arbitrarily combined, then it is universal. Or not?
NOR gates are only universal when we fix the topology of the inputs and outputs in particular ways. So what do you mean by arbitrarily combined?

Nor gates are logically complete or logically universal, but it's not the same as universal computation (Turing complete). For universal computation you need unbounded memory and a way to traverse/access it in a coherent way.

Giulio Prisco said:
The NOR gate is universal, so I would think that if a second-order reversible 1D cellular automata supports NOR gates that can be arbitrarily combined, then it is universal.
As I indicated in #2 that is my instinct too (and more valuably it also seems to be Stephen Wolfram's), but instinct is not enough as @Jarvis323 points out.

Just in case anyone is thinking that we could do some impossible things with a reversible computing machine (like "unmultiply" a number to find its factors in polynomial time), note that (i) we can't (which hints at some of the characteristics of a reversible computer) and (ii) reversible computing is widely studied and has origins at least as far back as Charles Bennett's definitive paper Logical Reversibility of Computation from 1973.

1. What is a reversible and universal elementary cellular automaton?

A reversible and universal elementary cellular automaton (RUECA) is a type of computational model that consists of a grid of cells, each having a finite number of possible states. The states of the cells are updated simultaneously according to a set of rules, which can be applied in both forward and backward directions, resulting in reversible behavior. RUECAs are also universal, meaning that they can simulate any other computational system.

2. How do reversible and universal elementary cellular automata work?

RUECAs operate based on a set of rules that dictate the state transitions of each cell. These rules are typically expressed in the form of a table, where the current state of a cell and its neighboring cells determine the next state. The rules are applied simultaneously to all cells in the grid, resulting in a new state for each cell. This process is repeated for each time step, allowing the system to evolve over time.

3. What are the applications of reversible and universal elementary cellular automata?

RUECAs have been used in various fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. They have been used to model complex systems, simulate physical phenomena, and study biological processes. RUECAs are also useful for cryptography and data encryption due to their reversible behavior.

4. What makes reversible and universal elementary cellular automata unique?

RUECAs are unique because they exhibit both reversible and universal behavior. Most cellular automata models are either reversible or universal, but RUECAs combine both properties, making them highly versatile and powerful tools for modeling and simulation.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with reversible and universal elementary cellular automata?

One of the main challenges with RUECAs is their computational complexity. As the system evolves over time, the number of possible states increases exponentially, making it difficult to analyze and predict the behavior of the system. Additionally, designing the rules for RUECAs can be a challenging task, as they must satisfy certain constraints to ensure both reversibility and universality.