1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversing Taylor Series to find the original function

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the convergence a unknown function. Now I know the Taylor series of it which is 1/3+2/(3^2)+3/(3^3+4/(4^4+...+k/(3^k). Which mean I can just take the Riemann sum of k/(3^k) from say 0 to 50 and that would give me 3/4.

However this is not enough I need to confirm the answer by finding the unknown function. Normally this isnt too difficult as I would manipulate the series to get it into some sort of form that is familiar like e^x or cos(x), but this one is throwing me for a loop.

The bottom part (3^k) fits x/(1-x) when x=3 but Im not sure about the top

any help or hints would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2
    I don't know if i am write or wrong , as i have never dealed with them but cant we write them as [summation of (K-1)/3^K]

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, delta59! :smile:

Perhaps you could start with substituting for instance x=1/3?
    What would you get?

Afterward, try to think of defining a suitable function f(x) of which you know what the series sum is if you integrate f(x).
    (I'll explain later.)

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4
    x/(1-x) when x=1/3 gives the correct bottom but then I just need to square the bottom function to get the top
    so the f(x)=x/((1-x))^2 gives the expansion of 1/3+2/(3^2)+3/(3^3+4/(4^4+...+k/(3^k)

Thanks bouncing ideas I got now.

6. Jul 4, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep. That works too! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook