Rewriting a base; Formula of a Reciprocal Function

They are different types of functions and cannot be converted into each other. In summary, the individual is trying to convert a function in the form y = a*e^bt to the form y = at^b. They have tried taking the log of both sides, but have been unable to remove the log*y term. They are also unsure of how to find the coefficients of the concentration equation by graphing the given data.
ryao3688

Homework Statement

I have a function, y = 6*e^0.4x. How would I convert the regular form, y=a*e^bt to the form y= at^b?

Homework Equations

y = 6*e^0.4x

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to take the log of both sides, but if I do that, then "y" becomes a log, and I can't remove that "log*y" unless I put the "base" of the formula back down.

And another quick problem:

Homework Statement

I have a set of data, t and C (hours and concentration; g/L, respectively). Somehow, by using that data, I can solve for the concentration equation, 1/(a+bt).

Homework Equations

Given data:
t (h) 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0
C (g/L) 1.43 1.02 0.73 0.53 0.38

Concentration equation, 1/(a+bt).

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a clue;I'm supposed to find the coefficients of the concentration equation by graphing the data that was received. I've tried to graph a graph of C vs. T, and tried to take the reciprocal of that equation, but it didn't work. I'm supposed to plot the above data in such a way, that the coefficients of the concentration formula can be solved. Any ideas on how I should go about finding the a/b values for the formula?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
for your first question:

let's say
[tex]A = e^a[/tex]
then
[tex]e^{ab} = (e^a)^b = A^b[/tex]

does that help?

Thanks Wukunlin, but I know I can combine e with its exponent.
Let me just replace that "x" with "t".
Ie: y = 6e^0.4t can be written as y = 6(1.4918...)^t - I need to find a way to get the "t" next to the base, and somehow get the base as the exponent - in the form y = at^b. I'm just confused about how I should go about doing this.

as far as I know that is impossible. What that does is turning an exponential function into a power function.

1. What is a reciprocal function?

A reciprocal function is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of another function. It is defined as f(x) = 1/x, where x is the input and 1/x is the output. In other words, the reciprocal function of a number is the number that, when multiplied by the original number, gives a product of 1.

2. How do you rewrite a base for a reciprocal function?

To rewrite a base for a reciprocal function, you can use the formula: y = a^x, where a is the base. The reciprocal function would be y = 1/a^x. This means that the base for the reciprocal function is the inverse of the original base.

3. What is the relationship between a function and its reciprocal function?

The reciprocal function of a function is its inverse. This means that the output of the function becomes the input of the reciprocal function, and vice versa. Additionally, the graphs of a function and its reciprocal function are reflections of each other over the line y = x.

4. How do you graph a reciprocal function?

To graph a reciprocal function, you can plot points by choosing different values for x and calculating the corresponding values for y using the reciprocal function formula. You can also use the parent function y = 1/x as a guide and make adjustments based on the values of a and x in the reciprocal function formula.

5. What is the importance of understanding reciprocal functions?

Understanding reciprocal functions is important in mathematics as it allows us to solve problems involving inverse relationships and proportions. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-life situations and make predictions. Additionally, knowledge of reciprocal functions is essential for further studies in calculus and advanced mathematics.