Discover Inverse Functions for Equations with Exponents and Logarithms

In summary: You should first determine the domain for x2 - 1, then use the inverse function to find the domain for y.In summary, you should determine the domains for the given functions, and then use the inverse function to find the domain for y.
IDontKnow430

Homework Statement

a.)y=sqrt(2^x -1) . I tried:

b.)y=log(sqrt(2^x -2)) and

c.)y=log^3 (2-sqrt(x)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=sqrt(2^y -1)

x^2 = 2^y -1

2^y = x^2 +1

y=log2(x^2 +1)

y=2 log2(x+1) is that correct result?

regarding b and c I am just lost :/. Will appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
IDontKnow430 said:

Homework Statement

a.)y=sqrt(2x -1) . I tried:

b.)y=log(sqrt(2x -2)) and

c.)y=log3 (2-sqrt(x)).

Homework Equations

x=sqrt(2y -1)

x2 = 2y -1

2y = x2 +1

y=log2(x2 +1)

What are the domains and codomains of those functions? This is quite important.

x e R a.) x>=0 b.)x>1 c.) 0<=x<4.
I had wrongly formated question before, lost few ^symbols while posting, should be fixed now.

Well maybe you have not sorted the actual writing yet. If a is the question, you seem to have just interchanged x and y for no reason. Then squaring both sides is the right idea, but after that check your reasoning. We'll need to see it written out properly to comment more.

IDontKnow430 said:

Homework Statement

a.) y=sqrt(2^x -1) . I tried:

b.) y=log(sqrt(2^x -2)) and

c.) y=log^3 (2-sqrt(x)).

Homework Equations

x=sqrt(2^y -1)

x^2 = 2^y -1

2^y = x^2 +1

y=log2(x^2 +1)

Hello IDontKnow430, Welcome to PF.

In the future: Please include a complete statement of your problem in the body of your Originating Post, no matter what you state in the title.

It the domains you list in post #3 does make these functions one-to-one. That's good and necessary if they are to have an inverse.

You should determine the range for each of the given functions. That will help you to find domains for the inverse functions which make them one-to-one.

The last step in your attempt with part (a) is incorrect.

What are inverse functions?

Inverse functions are functions that "undo" each other. In other words, when you apply an inverse function to the result of another function, you get back the original input.

What is the relationship between functions and their inverse functions?

The relationship between a function and its inverse function is that they are reflections of each other over the line y=x. This means that the input and output values are switched in the inverse function compared to the original function.

How do you find the inverse of a function with exponents?

To find the inverse of a function with exponents, you first set the function equal to y. Then, you switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation is the inverse function.

How do you find the inverse of a function with logarithms?

To find the inverse of a function with logarithms, you first set the function equal to y. Then, you use properties of logarithms to solve for x. The resulting equation is the inverse function.

Why is it important to understand inverse functions for equations with exponents and logarithms?

Understanding inverse functions for equations with exponents and logarithms is important because it allows you to solve equations and determine the relationship between different functions. It also helps in simplifying complex expressions and can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.