RF radiation living near TV/radio tower

In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about living near a cell phone tower and a 230-meter TV tower that transmits multiple TV channels and FM radio. The thread points out that there is no evidence of danger posed by these towers and strict regulations are in place for living near them. The conversation ends with the agreement that there is no need for further discussion.
nighthawky2
Hi there,

I noticed another thread about a guy who was considering living near a cell phone tower. People pointed out that he shouldn't worry because the amount of watts was low compared to tv towers etc. This makes me worry because I'm going to be moving into a property about 200 metres away from a 230 metre tv tower that transmits multiple tv channels and also transmits fm radio...

There's so much conflicting and emotive information from vested interests out there I don't know what to think. I would be very grateful to have an opinion from you guys about the science of possible risks at this higher level of RF.

Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think we need to go through this again. The thread explains quite clearly how little danger is posed and points quite clearly to the fact there is no evidence they present a danger.

I know people who live almost right under a TV mast and suffer no ill effects - unless you count a fantastic TV picture as one.

Any further discussion is pointless.

If you are looking for sources: http://madsci.org/posts/archives/2003-11/1069211502.Ph.r.html

Although not a brilliant source in itself it links to the FCC and an Australian regulatory authority on the subject.

There are strict controls relating to how close you can live to them, despite there being no inherent risk. So if you have a place near one it cannot be within the specified range.

Last edited:
Agreed. This thread is closed.

1. What is RF radiation and how does it affect human health?

RF radiation, or radiofrequency radiation, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from devices such as TV and radio towers. Studies have shown that exposure to high levels of RF radiation can potentially cause some negative health effects, such as increased risk of cancer, changes in DNA, and damage to tissue. However, the levels of RF radiation emitted from TV and radio towers are typically very low and are not considered harmful to human health.

2. How far away should I live from a TV/radio tower to avoid exposure to RF radiation?

The distance at which RF radiation levels become negligible depends on various factors, such as the power of the tower and the terrain. Generally, the further away you are from the tower, the lower the levels of RF radiation will be. However, even if you live in close proximity to a TV/radio tower, the levels of RF radiation are typically well below the recommended safety limits set by regulatory bodies.

3. How can I protect myself from RF radiation exposure from TV/radio towers?

If you are concerned about RF radiation exposure from TV/radio towers, there are a few steps you can take to minimize your exposure. These include living further away from the tower, limiting the time you spend near the tower, and using shielding materials or devices, such as metal screens or foil, to block RF radiation. However, it is important to note that these measures may not be necessary as the levels of RF radiation emitted from TV/radio towers are typically very low and not considered harmful.

4. Is there a difference in the levels of RF radiation emitted from TV and radio towers?

Yes, there is a difference in the levels of RF radiation emitted from TV and radio towers. TV towers typically emit higher levels of RF radiation than radio towers because they need to cover a larger area. However, both TV and radio towers are subject to strict regulations and must adhere to safety limits set by regulatory bodies to ensure that the levels of RF radiation emitted are not harmful to human health.

5. Are there any long-term health effects of living near a TV/radio tower?

Studies have not found any long-term health effects associated with living near TV/radio towers. The levels of RF radiation emitted from these towers are typically very low and not considered harmful. However, if you are still concerned, you can limit your exposure by following the steps mentioned above and consulting with your doctor if you experience any symptoms that you believe may be related to RF radiation exposure.