Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Rick Perry's "accident"

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry used the Charleston shootings to further advance his anti gun control stand by referring to the shootings as an "accident" because of contributing factors (not guns). His staff immediately corrected His statement saying that He misspoke and meant to say incident.

Rick Perry has a habit of not coming up with the right response. As a president He would have private conversations with world leaders where misspeaking will not be corrected before the damage is done.

We need much much better than He running for the presidency.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    Not that Im a fan od Rick Perry, but Jr had trouble finding the right terms almost every time he spoke in public, yet I never heard of it affecting diplomacy. Maybe it might appear to some to reflect poorly on our country, but hey, we can always just blame it on Texas.

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

6. Jun 22, 2015 #5

russ_watters

I'm actually not seeing a real issue there. There was only one acceptable response, and that wasn't it regardless of the interpretation.

Anyway, Obama had a nice one a week or so ago when he was discussing prisons and mentioned how prisoners have a tough time finding jobs when they leave office.

7. Jun 22, 2015 #6
    No one can be sure how one's image or demeanor affects how others will treat him/her or his/hers ideas especially foreign leaders. IMO one can loose credibility quickly by the misuse or misinterpretation of the language especially in tense or serious situations. Don't you think that foreign leaders study the candidates every response to issues presented them. They will know them better than the the vast majority of Americans.

What could we read into that? Was He inadvertently equating inmates with politicians or was it just the usual word that He thinks of when the word "leaving" occurs??? Compared to Perry's "faux pas" it conjured up nothing inflammatory. Perry's anti gun control stance and the "apparent" downgrading of the shootings are instantly connected (to me at the very least) making his previous sympathetic remarks to the survivors insincere and meaningless at best.

8. Jun 22, 2015 #7

russ_watters

No, he confirmed he was referring specifically to himself. Clinton apparently said something similar (but on purpose) referring to the White House as the country's highest security prison.

I'll find the article where I read these when I get a chance.

9. Jun 22, 2015 #8
    This is not really about physics, is it?
    If this was an accident then gun control is the answer. Indeed, car accidents are usually addressed by "car control". Traffic lights, one way streets etc.
    Of course this was NOT an accident and, by reverse logic, gun control is also needed in this interpretation of the event.
    There is only one type of logic that implies that no gun control is needed, on the contrary: NRA logic.

10. Jun 22, 2015 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

interesting you didn't mention registration, which doesn't help.

11. Jun 23, 2015 #10
    So I did not mention something that does not help.
    Why then would I?

12. Jun 23, 2015 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Glad to see you agree with NRA on that point.

13. Jun 23, 2015 #12
    Not making any attempt to limit the possession of guns to responsible owners is tantamount to approval of their misuse. It is the innocent that suffer the most. How quickly we react to the death of one child killed by an ill designed toy. But kill 20 children with a gun and all we do is wring our hands in disgust.

14. Jun 23, 2015 #13

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can control behavior. It takes effort to do that.

MADD made progress because they attached consequences to misbehavior.

Assault with a deadly weapon is only a one to five year sentence in Connecticut
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0619.htm
    if it's not plea bargained away.

we need these violent people out of society.

15. Jun 23, 2015 #14

russ_watters

Here's that Obama quote:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/theov...-office-freudian-slip-la-fundraiser/28963803/

16. Jun 28, 2015 #15

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Jun 28, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How so? Isn't there a non-trivial negative correlation between tough gun laws and murder rate? Isn't the murder rate lower in places where it is harder to get a gun, even when it is possible to travel to neighboring places with looser laws? I don't think this is a clear-cut issue.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  18. Jun 28, 2015 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Every sate that passed concealed carry noted a decrease.

Australia noted an increase after they confiscated guns.

I dont want to start a war here,
    and it's hard to find impartial sources
    i wont use NRA although i trust them more than i do the networks(hey totally lost my respect by painting Trayvon Martin as an angel)

so how about Cato institute? They're a libertarian think tank.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/gun-control-myths-realities
    Search on gun control crime and pick your source. You'll find opposing views and will have to make up your own mind.

Part of my youth was misspent.
    Sitting once in a seedy bar somewhere in Tennessee,
    a patron who seemed to shady even for me to deal with said: " I got out of Florida - that new governor started up their electric chair".
    Gov Graham you recall did clean out death row.

So i will always believe there is a deterrent. Fear rules the streets.

old jim

19. Jun 28, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't want a war either, only stating that the reasonable sources I am aware of are still undecided; not a clear-cut issue in either direction.

20. Jun 29, 2015 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks.

I prefer to look at raw numbers as they're not emotionally invested.
    But every spin factory is doctoring the data to boost their agenda.

I don't guess UN has much reason to spin
    here's their murder rate data from a Wikipedia page,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
    which gives links to their sources

US shows 4.7 per 100 thousand population which is low for the Americas group.
    UNDOC.JPG

another source that i'd guess to be impartial about the numbers is
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state
    though i think they do oppose death penalty

Murderbystate.JPG

A breakdown by state follows that little regional one.
    The numbers I do believe say homicide is decreasing

just why is contentious.

Thanks for your civility

old jim

21. Jun 29, 2015 #20

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jim, no problem, let's both enjoy the fact that PF provides/is a platform for civil discussion. I pledge to be civil; please let
    me know if you believe I am acting otherwise.

I would
    like to see my theories tested. Still, Venezuela, with a murder rate of at least 58 per 100,000 (this is
    what the Venezuelan Govt admits to) and possibly nearing 1/100 ( that is 100 per 100,000) has a lot
    of guns and very poor gun control. What are we to make of this?

Using your Wikipedia link on murder rate, we can also consider gun ownership:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Maybe we can also look at :
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/gun-homicides-ownership/table/

comparing gun ownership with murder rate (murder by guns).

Among developed countries, US has the highest gun ownership rate, but still highest murder rate. OTOH, Switzerland has both high rate of gun ownership and low
    murder rate.

Unfortunately, I have not found any site that has done any regression study between gun ownership and murder rate, and general rate of violent crime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook