1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ricocheting Bullet (elastic collisions)

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    .100-kg stone rets on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A bullet of mass 6.00g, traveling horizontally at 350 m/s, strikes the stone and rebounds horizontally at right angles to its original direction with a speed of 250 m/s. (a) Compute the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the stone after it is struck.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem with this question is that I cannot visualize it so I do not know how to try and solve it. I am confused because the bullet is initially traveling horizontally, but then is rebounding horizontally but at a right angle to the horizontal...? I thought it was just giving me the x-component of velocity for the bullet, but wouldn't the situation described be vertical?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It bounces off horizontally,
    Picture it coming in from the north, hitting a 45degree angle face of the stone and bouncing off going east.

The important point is that the total momentum in each direction (eg North-South and East-West) must be the same before and after.
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    If it is coming from the north, wouldn't it be coming in with a vertical velocity? Or is this just a matter of defining axes?
  5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

North as on a map.
    Or if you prefer imagine a flat piece of graph paper where the bullet is coming down the y-axis and bounces off up the x-axis.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    ohhhhhh. that makes sense.
    thank you so much for your quick reply!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?