Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann curvature scalar, Ricci Scalar.What does they measure ?

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    hello
    Can you perhaps explain what does the Riemann curvature scalar R measure? or is just an abstract entity ?
    What does the Ricci tensor measure ?
    I just want to grasp this and understand what they do.
    cheers,

typo: What DO they measure in the title.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Let ##M## be a Riemannian manifold and let ##p \in M##. Given any unit vector ##X\in T_p M##, pick an orthonormal basis ##\{E_{i}\}## for ##T_p M## such that ##E_1 = X##. It can be shown that ##\text{Ricci}(X,X) = \sum _{k = 2}^{n}K(E_1,E_k)## where ##K(E_1,E_i)## is the sectional curvature of the plane spanned by ##E_1 = X## and ##E_i##. So the Ricci tensor can be interpreted as the sum of sectional curvatures of planes spanned by a unit vector ##X## in the tangent space and other elements of an orthonormal basis to which ##X## belongs.

Then, ##R = R_{j}{}{}^{j} = \sum_{j \neq k} (E_j,E_k)## i.e. the Ricci scalar measures the sum of all sectional curvatures of planes spanned by distinct pairs of elements in a given orthonormal basis.

There are many other ways to interpret it as well. See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_curvature

Also see problem 9 of chapter 4 in Do Carmo "Riemannian Geometry" for an absolutely beautiful relationship between the Ricci scalar and the Ricci tensor in terms of the area of a sphere in the tangent space and the integral of the Ricci tensor over that sphere.

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There are pretty decent intuitive definitions at math.ucr.edu/home/baez/gr/

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4
    Thanks to all.
    In wikipedia it is mentioned :
    "Specifically, the scalar curvature represents the amount by which the volume of a geodesic ball in a curved Riemannian manifold deviates from that of the standard ball in Euclidean space"

Does this mean that the volume of the sphere in the curved space which is 4/3Pi*r*r*r , which is also the same in eucledian space yields a null value for the Scalar curvature ?

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Let ##\epsilon > 0## be sufficiently small so that for ##p \in M##, ##B_{\epsilon}(p)\subset M## is a geodesic ball under the exponential map. It can be shown then that ##\frac{\text{Vol}(B_{\epsilon}(p))}{\text{Vol}(B_{\epsilon}(0)\subset \mathbb{R}^{n})} = 1 - \frac{R}{6(n + 2)}\epsilon^{2}+ O(\epsilon^{4})##. If the two volumes agree then ##R = 0## to fourth order in ##\epsilon##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook