1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture Proof?

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Hey guys,
    I saw these just showed up on arXiv, published by some unknown who claims to have invented his own number system and is not affiliated with any academic institutions.

What do you make of this?
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.3465
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2952

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    Eh...keep in mind that anyone can post on arXiv. I'll wait until he survives peer review.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Actually, I don't think just anyone can post on arxiv. I believe you need an endorser or some such thing before you can post anything, or you need to be part of an institution whose members get automatically endorsed. As for the author in question, it appears he is actually affiliated with the Institute of Chemical Processing Machinery, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, according to the very end of the papers. I also didn't see anything about inventing his own number system, but then I only barely the skimmed over the papers.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    He published a paper in 2007 on that, and then went dead silent for 4 years and now published these.

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5
    It's not peer reviewed. A lot of those articles are only there because they're waiting for acceptance from a journal. It doesn't mean arXiv isn't a wonderful resource, it just means you need to be more careful than usual when reading a paper.

7. Oct 19, 2011 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

The paper is a mathematics paper, not a physics/biology/chemistry paper.

If you really want to put in the effort, just read it and if you think something is up post the issue in the forums and you're bound to get someone familiar with that issue in some regard comment on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook