Riemannian connection basic question about computing

In summary: However, for other domains the computation can be more involved. In summary, if you are looking for a book or reference on computing riemannian connections, you might be able to find something helpful in Do Carmo.
samithie
Does anyone have a good book or reference on computing riemannian connections. I'm looking at Do Carmo and can't find any examples. For ex. If X = y(d/dx) + x(d/dy) + w(d/dz) -z(d/dw), Y = z(d/dx) - w(d/dy) - x(d/dz) + y(d/dw), Z = w(d/dx) + z(d/dy) - y(d/dz) - x(d/dw) being the classical frame field on s3. How would I go about computing nabla_X(X), nabla_X(Y), nabla_X(Z) in terms of X,Y,Z where nabla is the levi civita connection. I would like to see one example if possible, or something similar. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Levi-Civita connection satisfies two conditions. It is metric-compatible

[tex]\nabla_Z \big( g(X,Y) \big) = g(\nabla_Z X, Y) + g(X, \nabla_Z Y), \qquad \forall \, X,Y,Z[/tex]
and torsion-free

[tex]\nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X = [X,Y]. \qquad \forall \, X,Y[/tex]
These two conditions should give you a system of linear equations which you can solve to obtain [itex]\nabla_X X, \nabla_X Y,[/itex] etc. In fact, it is possible to solve the system in general, without plugging in your definitions of the frame vectors. But it might be easier for you to do one example with the vectors you have.

samithie said:
Does anyone have a good book or reference on computing riemannian connections. I'm looking at Do Carmo and can't find any examples. For ex. If X = y(d/dx) + x(d/dy) + w(d/dz) -z(d/dw), Y = z(d/dx) - w(d/dy) - x(d/dz) + y(d/dw), Z = w(d/dx) + z(d/dy) - y(d/dz) - x(d/dw) being the classical frame field on s3. How would I go about computing nabla_X(X), nabla_X(Y), nabla_X(Z) in terms of X,Y,Z where nabla is the levi civita connection. I would like to see one example if possible, or something similar. Thanks.

The connection will have an simple form in geodesic polar coordinates. For the sphere this is an easy computation. The Poincare disc should also be easy.

1. What is a Riemannian connection?

A Riemannian connection is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to define the notion of a derivative for vector fields on a Riemannian manifold. It allows for the study of curvature and other geometric properties of the manifold.

2. How is a Riemannian connection computed?

A Riemannian connection can be computed using a variety of methods, such as the Levi-Civita connection or the Christoffel symbols. These methods involve calculating the derivatives of the metric tensor and solving a set of differential equations.

3. What is the importance of Riemannian connections in computing?

Riemannian connections play a crucial role in various fields of computing, including machine learning, robotics, and computer graphics. They are used to define efficient and accurate algorithms for optimization and geometric computations on manifolds.

4. Can Riemannian connections be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds?

Yes, Riemannian connections can be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds, such as submanifolds or Finsler manifolds. However, the methods for computation and study may differ from those used for Riemannian manifolds.

5. Are there practical applications of Riemannian connections in real-world problems?

Yes, Riemannian connections have numerous practical applications in real-world problems, such as in computer vision, medical imaging, and robotics. They are used to model and analyze complex data and systems, leading to better understanding and solutions.