1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemannian manifold and general relativity

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My book ("General Relativity" by Hobson on page 32) says that an N-dimensional manifold has 1/2 * N * (N-1) independent metric functions. I am confused about why there is a limit at all to the number of independent metric functions [tex] g_{\mu \nu} [/tex]. It probably has to do with the symmetric property of the metric.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

I think you're confused about what they mean by "indpendent functions". If we ignored symmetry considerations, the metric would have N2 indepedent functions: g11(x), g12(x), ..., gNN(x). But the metric must be symmetric, gmn(x)=gnm(x). The number of indepednet functions is then the number of elements on or above the main diagonal in an NxN matrix; this number is (1/2)N(N+1). [Not, as you wrote, (1/2)N(N-1); your book has the correct result.]
  4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    Thank you. And you're right it is 1/2 * (N) * (N+1)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?