1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right hand rule - Magnetic field

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Conventional current flows in a ring in the direction indicated in the diagram (if you stand at location A, on the +x axis, and look toward the ring, current flows clockwise). At each of the locations labeled by a letter, use the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field at that location, due to the current in the ring.

18-079-ring_field_6locs_sym.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Right hand rule

3. The attempt at a solution

I already know the answers, which was given to me:

Location A = -x
    Location B = +x
    Location C = -x
    Location D = +x
    Location E = +x
    Location F = +x

But I don't know how to apply the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field? Can anyone explain it to me thoroughly, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2
    It's just like any other cross product. AxB
    Step 1: You put your open palm with your fingers pointing in the same direction as the first vector A ( in your example it is I)
    Step 2: Without moving anything but your fingers, point to the direction of the point whose magnetic field you examine.
    Step 3: The magnetic field at this point is given by the direction of your extended thumb without moving your hand.
    Watch this too:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted