1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right inverse, left inverse, binary operations

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If * is a binary operation on a set B, and the domain of definition is B^2, if * is associative and the neutral element is p. If r and l are elements of b we can say that r is a left inverse of l under * iff r * l = p, and l is a right inverse of r iff l * r = p. Show that if an element of B has a left and right inverse, then they are equal.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does the neutral element have anything to do with finding the answer, also what does associativity have to do with finding the answer? All I can think of is since there is only one neutral element in *, r = p and l = p, but I don't think that is the answer.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, you have to assume there is a neutral element p, so that for any x, x*p=p*x=x. Now suppose r is a right inverse of x (so x*r=p) and l is a left inverse of x (so l*x=p). Associativity tells you (l*x)*r=l*(x*r), yes? So?

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Does it matter than the question say l * r = p and r * l = p, where does the x come from? would this mean (l * r) * l = l * (r * l)?

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The letters were confusing and I changed them. Your writing (l * r) * l = l * (r * l) shows why. The definitions you've got are using 'l' to be a symbol for both the right and left inverse. They are two different things. Those definitions mean something independent of the particular symbols used. Suppose I tell you that b is a right inverse of c. Let's keep the symbol 'p' to mean the neutral element, though I probably would have used the symbol '1' instead. It's more suggestive. What does that mean?

6. Feb 10, 2014 #5
    Then why in the question is l * r = p, and r * l = p defined? btw r and l do not mean right and left inverse, they are arbitrary variables, the question says, "l is left inverse of r under * iff l * r = p, and l is a right inverse of r under * iff r * l = p". It is kind of confusing.

7. Feb 10, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First off, look at some numbers you know, such as the rationals. With * being the multiplication operator you learned long ago and p being 1, what is the left inverse of 2 ? The right inverse? The answer is obviously 1/2 in both cases: 1/2*2 = 2*1/2 = 1. The goal of this problem is to show that if an element of B has both left and right inverses and if * is associative then there is only one inverse (i.e., the left and right inverses are one and the same).

Note that this result does not necessarily mean that * is commutative. What it does mean is that an element of B commutes with its multiplicative inverse.

Dick took the correct approach by giving that element of B that has both a left and right inverse a new symbol, x.

8. Feb 10, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, they are arbitrary variables, and yes, it's kind of confusing. The reason it's confusing is because they made such a poor choice of arbitrary symbols. Try to unscramble it. You didn't answer my question. I'll repeat it. Suppose I tell you that b is a right inverse of c. What does that mean? Bypass the whole 'l' and 'r' thing.

9. Feb 10, 2014 #8
    c * b = p, where p is the neutral element

10. Feb 10, 2014 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bingo! Now I'll tell you that d is a left inverse of c. Same question. And then can you show b=d?

11. Feb 10, 2014 #10
    (d * c) * b = d * (c * b)
    d * c = c * b = p
    p * b = d * p
    so this implies d = b, right?

12. Feb 10, 2014 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Couldn't be clearer. I'm almost wondering if they didn't choose the symbol choice in original definitions to try to test you and throw you off track.

13. Feb 10, 2014 #12
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted