1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right triangle, describe dx as dθ

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is part of a find the electric field problem. I've narrowed down the part I find confusing.

Consider a right triangle, with legs of length x and R. Angle θ is opposite x. Leg x is a segment of a ray starting where lines x and R intersect. There is a differential length dx along line x (it is at a vertex of the right triangle). Find dx in terms of R and θ.

2. Relevant equations
    standard trig functions, pythagorean theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer according to the solutions manual is dx = (R/cos^2 θ) dθ. Obviously, I cannot understand at all where that came from.

I did get R tan ( θ + dθ) = x + dx but that isn't very helpful either

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since x = R tan(θ), then dx/dθ = R sec2θ.

So what does this give for dx?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    man, this makes me feel dumb

thanks for pointing out that dx = (1 / cos2θ) dθ. i would have never guessed that trick by myself

but where does the R come into that equation?

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just a careless typo. I fixed it with an edit. dx/dθ = R sec2θ

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    this stupid part is i didnt realize it was a typo either.. but thank you for this trick. i never thought like that before

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook