Rigid Body Reel and hanging mass.

In summary, an object with a mass of 5.4 kg is suspended from a light string wrapped around a reel of radius 0.265 m and mass 3.00 kg. The reel is free to rotate in a vertical plane and the object is released from rest 5.50 m above the floor. We can determine the tension in the string by using the equations ƩFy = mg - T = ma and τ = Iα = .5MRa. The acceleration of the object can be found by using the equation a = -10/t^2 and the speed with which the object hits the floor can be found using the equation v^2 = -10a+110. There may be
JJRKnights

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of m = 5.4 kg is attached to the free end of a light string wrapped around a reel of radius R = 0.265 m and mass of M = 3.00 kg. The reel is a solid disk, free to rotate in a vertical plane about the horizontal axis passing through its center as shown in the figure below. The suspended object is released from rest 5.50 m above the floor.

(a) Determine the tension in the string.
(b) Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the object.
(c) Determine the speed with which the object hits the floor.

Homework Equations

ƩFy = ma
τ = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩFy = mg - T = ma
T = m(g-a)
a = -10/t^2
I = .5(M)(R^2)
τ = Iα = .5MRa
τ=.3975a

I found that to find Tension in this way, I would need acceleration first, but there must be another way to find Tension because b) asks for acceleration while a) wants Tension.

Could I say that the Torque = Tension x Radius?

I think I'm on the right tracks, but can anybody help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also for part c,

I looked at it and can see relevant equations:

v^2 =(v_0)^2 + 2a(x-(x_0))
which would come out to
v^2 = -10a

1. What is a rigid body reel?

A rigid body reel is a mechanical device used for winding and unwinding a rope or cable. It consists of a cylindrical drum with a handle for turning and a gear mechanism to control the rotation. It is commonly used in fishing, lifting heavy objects, and in various other industrial and recreational applications.

2. How does a rigid body reel work?

A rigid body reel works by rotating the cylindrical drum, which winds the rope or cable around it. The gear mechanism controls the rotation and allows for smooth and controlled winding and unwinding. The handle is used to turn the drum and is connected to the gear mechanism.

3. What is the purpose of a hanging mass in relation to a rigid body reel?

The hanging mass is used to create tension on the rope or cable wound around the rigid body reel. This tension helps to keep the rope or cable in place and prevent it from slipping or unraveling. It also helps to counterbalance the weight of the object being lifted or moved by the reel.

4. How is the tension in the rope or cable affected by the hanging mass?

The tension in the rope or cable is directly affected by the weight of the hanging mass. The heavier the hanging mass, the greater the tension on the rope or cable. This tension is crucial for keeping the rope or cable in place and ensuring the smooth operation of the rigid body reel.

5. What are some real-life applications of a rigid body reel with a hanging mass?

Rigid body reels with hanging masses have a wide range of applications. They are commonly used in fishing to reel in and release the fishing line. They are also used in construction and engineering for lifting and moving heavy objects. In addition, they are used in rock climbing for belaying and rappelling, and in theater productions for stage rigging and flying scenery.