1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigor in Quantum physics -- Do I need to know Functional Analysis well?

1. Jul 2, 2017 #1
    Hello, I've a following question:
    Is necessary know well func. analysis, and all its theorems to handle well quantum physics...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2017 #2
    Use quantum physics to inspire study of func. o:)

4. Jul 3, 2017 #3
    Okay, but I'm interested in knowing if it's strictly necessary (for QM) ...:oldconfused:

5. Jul 3, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No, it is not necessary if you are only interested in physics. Most quantum physicists, even Nobel prize winners, do not use much of rigorous functional analysis.

6. Jul 3, 2017 #5
    There are some odd corners of active research where it can be useful deep in the theoretical end. (Quantum chaos, for example.) But no, you won't need it in typical undergraduate and graduate course sequences.

7. Jul 3, 2017 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To the OP:

I read in your profile that you like both mathematics and physics. So, although from a physicist's point of view, FA is not required knowledge for QM, I would still recommend that at some point you take a look at an applied FA book with some discussion of QM. Vice versa, I would recommend every mathematics student of FA ("pure" or "applied", it does not matter) to take a look at a book on theoretical QM. The birth of the two subjects roughly coincides in time, their development is strongly correlated and you may enjoy seeing this for yourself.

8. Jul 4, 2017 #7
    Most of the introductionary quantum physics is based on electromagnetism according to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted