Rigorous E&M textbooks beyond Halliday, Resnick, and Krane for first semester

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bifodus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    E&m
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bifodus
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm taking a first semester electricity and magnetism class and my teacher is quite a bit more rigorous than the textbook that he requires (Physics V2 by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane), so, in other words, my textbook is insufficient for the class. Does anyone have any recommended outside readings for a first semester E&M student? The class that I'm taking only requires two semesters of calculus and only has integration of one variable. Given that restriction, I would like to get a book that is as rigorous as possible. As a math major, I'm quite fluent in vector calculus, so if anyone has a good book that might not fit that restriction, I may still be interested.

Thanks very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism" (Vol 2 of the Berkeley Series).

Can you give an example of the rigorousness? (e.g., more theoretical? detailed proofs?nontrivial computations?)