1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Rigorous Exam in Physics and Mathematics.

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    I am very much interested in Physics and Mathematics.
    I want some rigorous hard or tough competitions exam.
    I live in India so I want international exams and can be recognize everywhere in the world.
    The Exam should be International and I am doing by graduation currently.
    I want to participate in IMO and IPO but I miss the deadline for registering. Now I am 18 yrs old so I want to know how to take exams without college or school.
    Can IMO and IPO can be taken private, if so they what should I do.
    If cannot then suggest some others exam.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Do you need some kind of qualification to get into university/college?

You could look into A-Levels. I've done them. I don't particularly like them (except the "language" courses) but they're internationally recognised. There's also the Cambridge Pre-Us.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    I clearly stated that I am doing my graduation but I will be applying for transfer to some colleges.
    I have already completed my A-Levels as a private candidate with excellent grades.
    A*A*A.
    I want some rigorous exam to make my transfer application to top colleges in the world.
    Probably I will looking for MIT, Caltech and Imperial or ETH.
    I am interested in Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    There is STEP if you're interested in mathematics at university: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step

No idea for physics sorry.

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    Thanks synkk, I found PAT [Physics Aptitude Test].

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    Consider the fact that "doing my graduation" is not necessarily as "clear" to everybody else as it is to you. I've never even heard anyone use that to refer to undergraduate study before you.

How far are you into your degree? One is required to apply as a transfer candidate only if they have completed a year of university. That is for US colleges, by the way.

I believe CalTech has an entrance exam for their transfer candidates but they don't provide any funding for transfer applicants. I know someone who passed the exam but didn't attend because of lack of funding.

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7
    No, you may not take IMO or IPhO without being officially selected by your country, which requires you to be one of the top six students in your country that year.

I'm not sure if India also takes the GCE A-Levels or whether they have another A-Levels exam, but frankly speaking A*A*A in GCE A-Levels is nothing impressive. Most Oxbridge applicants have at least 3 to 4 A*s.

9. Feb 24, 2012 #8
    @Mépris is that true that Caltech don't provide funding for transfer students.

10. Feb 24, 2012 #9
    A*A*A should get you into a good university in the UK. Why the foucus on Imperial? There are many universities in the UK that have at least as good a reputation as Imperial for UG physics teaching. The most scientific assessment of physics teaching is probably the QQA, here's an account of this at Leeds:

http://www.physics.leeds.ac.uk/undergraduates/why-leeds/teaching-quality-assessment

Note that Leeds gets 24, the highest possible rating. So why not apply there, and other places with 24? Also look at:

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/Pages/default.aspx

If you apply for places for the best scientific reason, and put that on your CV, then will that not look good to the best people (i.e., rational people!) Many people apply to Oxbridge or Imperial for snob reasons - that doesn't look good (except to snobs...)

You might find that quite a few places have good QAA scores, other sources might be then be worth looking at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-physics

11. Feb 24, 2012 #10

chiro

Science Advisor

12. Feb 24, 2012 #11
    @chiro Putnam can be taken by American students only.
    I am from India.

13. Feb 24, 2012 #12
    What makes you think that? I've never seen anything of the sort reported by either university and I'd be interested in seeing some kind of valid proof for that. If anything, most people study three subjects at A2 and one at AS.

In general, being predicted A*AA is enough for one to apply there.

Why don't you go to their website and see for yourself? This was true a few months ago and while I doubt this has changed, you should still check. You shouldn't take it for granted that everybody has your best interests in mind. For all you know, we could all be lying to you...

14. Mar 18, 2012 #13
    can Putnam exam be taken by international students.

15. Mar 18, 2012 #14
    Good lord. That is information that can be acquired by a simple google search.

http://math.scu.edu/putnam/registration.html

One has to be in enrolled in an American or Canadian university and nominated by a faculty member to participate.

16. Mar 18, 2012 #15
    1. Learn to the Googling.
    2. ????
    3. Profit

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook