Ring of Polynomials and Ring of Polynomial Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a polynomial and a polynomial function, and whether they can be considered the same thing. It is argued that, algebraically, they are equivalent as rings, but there are differences in specific cases such as when the base field has characteristic zero. The conversation also mentions the existence of a bijection and homomorphism between the polynomial ring, the ring of polynomial functions, and the base ring.
Mandelbroth
Recently, I've developed a habit of trying to separate the idea of a function from the idea of the image of the function. This has mostly just confused me, but I am adamant about sticking to it.

I think the two terms, "ring of polynomials" and "ring of polynomial functions," are not equivalent. Here's my reasoning:

If we talk about a polynomial, we talk about something of the form ##\sum a_nx^n##. When we talk about a polynomial function, we talk about a function that takes every ##x## in a domain to a member of a codomain of the form ##\sum a_nx^n##. If we were to try to establish a bijection between them, we'd have to forget about the domain and codomain.

Is there any reason to think of them differently, or are they really just two terms for the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebraically, as rings, the two are the same. The bijection is an isomorphism of rings.

Evaluation at some element of the ring of scalars is a ring homomorphism.

lavinia said:
Algebraically, as rings, the two are the same. The bijection is an isomorphism of rings.

This is not true. The polynomial x2-x is non-zero in the polynomial ring Z/2[x] but is zero in the ring of polynomial functions over Z/2.

jgens said:
This is not true. The polynomial x2-x is non-zero in the polynomial ring Z/2[x] but is zero in the ring of polynomial functions over Z/2.

Right. I was thinking of a base field of characteristic zero. I should have said so.

lavinia said:
Right. I was thinking of a base field of characteristic zero. I should have said so.

In that case you're covered :smile:

The general picture:
- The polynomial ring (1), the ring of polynomial functions (2), and the base ring (3) are all rings.
- Taking a polynomial to the function (on the base ring) it defines is a ring homomorphism from (1) to (2).
- Fixing any element of the base ring, the map taking a polynomial function to its evaluation (at the element we fixed) is a ring homomorphism from (2) to (3).

1. What is a ring of polynomials?

A ring of polynomials is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of polynomials with operations of addition and multiplication defined on them. The set of polynomials must satisfy specific properties, such as closure, associativity, commutativity, and distributivity, to be considered a ring.

2. What is the difference between a ring of polynomials and a ring of polynomial functions?

A ring of polynomials is a set of polynomials, while a ring of polynomial functions is a set of functions that can be expressed as polynomials. In other words, a ring of polynomial functions includes not only the polynomials themselves but also any functions that can be written as a combination of polynomials.

3. What are some examples of rings of polynomials and rings of polynomial functions?

Examples of rings of polynomials include the set of all polynomials with real coefficients, the set of all polynomials with complex coefficients, and the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients. Examples of rings of polynomial functions include the set of all polynomial functions with real coefficients, the set of all polynomial functions with complex coefficients, and the set of all polynomial functions with integer coefficients.

4. What are some applications of rings of polynomials and rings of polynomial functions?

Rings of polynomials and polynomial functions have many applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and solve problems involving curves, surfaces, and other mathematical objects. They are also used in cryptography, signal processing, and coding theory.

5. How are rings of polynomials and rings of polynomial functions related to other mathematical structures?

Rings of polynomials and polynomial functions are closely related to other mathematical structures such as fields, groups, and vector spaces. For example, the set of polynomials with real coefficients forms a field, while the set of polynomial functions with real coefficients forms a vector space. Rings of polynomials and polynomial functions are also used to define other structures such as rings of formal power series and rings of Laurent polynomials.