Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP H. Edward Roberts, PC Pioneer

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

H. Edward Roberts, PC Pioneer, Dies at 68

I remember some of the first PCs, like the Altair, and Tandy's version, Commodore-64, and the first IBM PC (based on an 8086 processor). I bought my first PC in 1985 and added an 8087 math co-processor to increase speed of calculations.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2
    I worked for Commodore in the early 80's. Before the Commodore-64 was the Vic-20 and before that the PET. The first computer I bought was an Atari 800. With 48 Kilobytes (for the younguns, a Kilobyte is like a Gigabyte, only smaller) of memory, a floppy disk drive (like a memory stick, only electro-mechanical) holding 88 Kilobyes, and a dot matrix printer (like a laser printer that prints 9 dots at a time) it came to around $3000. It launched my career as a software engineer and in that way paid for itself many times over.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. Apr 4, 2010 #3

Gold Member

Even though Gates and Roberts clashed and were estranged for most of their lives, Gates care and concern as Roberts was dying was touching. A real class act...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook