Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the problem discusses a situation where a ring is attached to a thread and two beads slide on the ring without friction. It is shown that if the mass of the beads is greater than three times the mass of the ring, the ring will start to rise. The angle at which this occurs is also calculated. The forces involved, including gravity, tension, and normal forces, are also discussed.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A ring of mass M hangs from a thread, and two beads of mass m slide on it without friction, as shown. The beads are released simultaneously from the top of the ring and slide down opposite sides. Show that the ring will start to rise if m > 3M/2, and find the angle at which this occurs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't understand the situation physically. How does the ring move up exactly? What is the force propelling it upward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

A ring of mass M hangs from a thread, and two beads of mass m slide on it without friction, as shown. The beads are released simultaneously from the top of the ring and slide down opposite sides. Show that the ring will start to rise if m > 3M/2, and find the angle at which this occurs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't understand the situation physically. How does the ring move up exactly? What is the force propelling it upward?
The whole system consists of the two beads and the loop. Initially, the loop hangs from the thread motionless, and the beads starts to slide down on it, accelerating with respect to the loop. The CoM of the whole system has a downward acceleration a, and the force corresponding to that is gravity and the tension in the thread, opposing it. When the CoM accelerates with g, the force of tension becomes zero, and the whole system is in free fall. But the beads accelerate downward with respect to the loop, so it has to accelerate upward.

ehild said:
The whole system consists of the two beads and the loop. Initially, the loop hangs from the thread motionless, and the beads starts to slide down on it, accelerating with respect to the loop. The CoM of the whole system has a downward acceleration a, and the force corresponding to that is gravity and the tension in the thread, opposing it. When the CoM accelerates with g, the force of tension becomes zero, and the whole system is in free fall. But the beads accelerate downward with respect to the loop, so it has to accelerate upward.
If the force of tension becomes zero, then what is accelerating the ring upward from a physical standpoint?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If the force of tension becomes zero, then what is accelerating the ring upward from a physical standpoint?
If it helps, first imagine a slightly different problem. Consider the situation of two cars rolling off a cylinder (where the cars are not actually attached to the cylinder). Eventually, at some angle, they would roll off the edge of the cylinder, and would no longer touch the cylinder. (Don't take this too far though. The angle in question is different for this situation; it's not the answer you are looking for.)

But in this problem (not my "different" problem above), the ring is "holding on" to the beads -- not letting them roll off the edge. What forces are involved in keeping these beads attached to the ring?

Mr Davis 97 said:
The whole system would accelerate downward with g. If the downward acceleration of the beads are more than g, the loop must accelerate upward, to maintain the overall acceleration.
As for the forces, there are normal forces between the loop and the beads. Those normal forces can accelerate the loop upward.

Likes collinsmark
Gravity is an external force to the system, so it is not similar to someone say walking forwards in a small boat and pushing the boat backwards.

Likes collinsmark
Mr Davis 97 said:
The forces acting on a bead is gravity and N, normal force from the loop. The forces acting on the loop are its weight, the tension of the string T and N', the force from the bead to the loop, equal and opposite to N.

upload_2017-3-9_10-36-33.png

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Gravity is an external force to the system, so it is not similar to someone say walking forwards in a small boat and pushing the boat backwards.
It is not gravity, that pushes backward. Imagine you are in free fall, and have a stone with you. You throw the stone downward. Will your acceleration change during the time of throw, when you exert a downward force on the stone, so increasing its downward acceleration?

Yes, your acceleration downwards will decrease, but I would think the blue N would then be on the bead and the orange N' on the hoop when the beads pass 90o from the top? (was hoping Mr Davis will respond)

andrevdh said:
Yes, your acceleration downwards will decrease, but I would think the blue N would then be on the bead and the orange N' on the hoop when the beads pass 90o from the top? (was hoping Mr Davis will respond)
No, the bead is in general position. And the normal force on the bead can be both inward and outward. At small angles, when the speed of the bead is small, and the radial component of gravity is also small, it should point inward.
Edit: At angles when the radial component of gravity is smaller than the centripetal force, the normal force points inward.

Last edited:
That is what I was trying to say. When the bead is in the top half of the loop the normal force on it is outwards, but in the bottom half it is inwards. So the radial component of gravity and its speed (radial acceleration) detemines the magnitude (and direction?) of the normal force?

andrevdh said:
That is what I was trying to say. When the bead is in the top half of the loop the normal force on it is outwards, but in the bottom half it is inwards. So the radial component of gravity and its speed (radial acceleration) detemines the magnitude (and direction?) of the normal force?
I was not clear in the previous post. The normal force on the bead together with the radial component of gravity has to give the centripetal force. In the bottom half, the normal force must act inward. But in the top half, it can act in both ways.

Aaaa, starting to get it! So one can use energy conservation and that should solve the problem - got it. I was not taking the centripetal acceleration into account!

andrevdh said:
Aaaa, starting to get it! So one can use energy conservation and that should solve the problem - got it. I was not taking the centripetal acceleration into account!
Yes, energy conservation is useful to get the speed of the beads at a given angle. But you need to find the condition that the tension in the string becomes zero.

Thank you, think I can do it now (I didn't engage the problem fully - should have been able to solve it on my own). Will leave it to the op if he/she wants to know more.

Mr Davis 97 said:
If the ring moves up the string becomes slack, so the tension is zero.
Find the vertical acceleration of the beads in terms of the angle θ. Write y, and take the second derivative.
Use conservation of energy to get the derivatives of θ. Derive the expression for the acceleration of the center of mass of mass, and find the condition, that it is equal to g.
upload_2017-3-10_21-44-10.png

1. What is the "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment?

The "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment is a simple physics experiment that involves dropping a string of beads onto a hoop and observing the resulting motion of the hoop. It is used to demonstrate the concept of conservation of momentum and energy.

2. What materials are needed for the "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a hoop (such as a hula hoop or a metal ring), a string of beads (such as a necklace or a string of small plastic beads), and a flat surface to perform the experiment on.

3. How do you conduct the "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment?

First, hold the hoop horizontally and drop the string of beads from the top of the hoop so that it falls through the center. As the beads hit the bottom of the hoop, the hoop will rise up into the air. Make sure to perform the experiment on a flat surface and repeat it a few times to observe consistent results.

4. What is the explanation for the rising of the hoop in the "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment?

The rising of the hoop is due to the conservation of momentum and energy. When the beads hit the bottom of the hoop, they transfer their momentum and energy to the hoop, causing it to rise up into the air. This is because the total momentum and energy of the system (beads + hoop) must remain constant.

5. What are the real-world applications of the "Rising of a hoop given the falling of beads" experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the principles of conservation of momentum and energy, which are important concepts in physics and engineering. It can also be used to demonstrate the effects of collisions in different scenarios, such as in sports or car accidents.