Rlc circuit with ac current source

In summary: Step 3. Now use the voltage divider rule to find the voltage across the capacitor. In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage across a capacitor in a parallel RLC circuit with an AC current source of 1 ∠0° A and an angular frequency of 1 rad/s. Using the concept of complex impedance, the net impedance of the circuit is calculated and then the voltage divider rule is applied to find the voltage across the capacitor.
Mirthlinc

Homework Statement

An AC current source, 1 ∠0° A, with angular frequency 1 rad/s is to be applied to the input
terminals of the circuit. Circuit is RLC, the current source is in parallel with a 1F capacitor which is in parallel with a 1H inductor which is in series with a 1Ω resistor. I need to find the Voltage across the capacitor.

Homework Equations

Xc = 1/ωC

Vc = Xc * I

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the voltage into the circuit is the same as the voltage across the capacitor since they are in parallel. This is a current divider problem so I need to find the current across the capacitor to solve for the Vc. I know I need to use the impedences to solve for voltage using Vc = Xc * Ic, but I cannot recall how to do this for a series/parallel RLC circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that impedences act the same as resistors? In that case I just add the series elements and then use the current divider rule to find the current across the capacitor, but I don't know if that is right.

First find the net impedence of the circuit.

Have you been introduced to the concept of complex imedance?

Step 1. The impedance of the capacitor = 1/(wC) ∠-90°

Step 2. Impedance of the inductor + impedance of resistor = [PLAIN][PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif ∠[PLAIN][PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif  + [PLAIN][PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif ∠[PLAIN][PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Rlc Circuit?

An Rlc circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel, and the circuit can be powered by a direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC) source.

2. How does an Rlc circuit with AC current source work?

In an Rlc circuit with an AC current source, the alternating current causes the inductor and capacitor to store and release energy in a cyclical manner. This results in the circuit having a resonant frequency, where the inductive and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, allowing the circuit to reach its maximum current and voltage.

3. What is the resonant frequency of an Rlc circuit?

The resonant frequency of an Rlc circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a maximum current and voltage. It can be calculated using the formula: 1/2π√(LC), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What are the applications of an Rlc circuit with AC current source?

Rlc circuits with AC current source have various applications, including in filters, oscillators, and frequency-selective circuits. They are also commonly used in radio and television receivers to select specific frequencies.

5. How can I calculate the current and voltage in an Rlc circuit with AC current source?

The current and voltage in an Rlc circuit with AC current source can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the equations for inductive and capacitive reactance. The current can be calculated using I=V/Z, where V is the voltage and Z is the total impedance of the circuit. The voltage can be calculated by multiplying the current by the total impedance, V=IZ.