1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Road to a good engineering school?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    hello, pf i am new here and this is my first post and i would like to know what course of action i will need to take in order to reach my goals. [sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is can a mod please move it to the correct location]

a little backround info;

I just graduated high school a couple of days ago and i will be attending a CCC. (SMC). in highschool i took many AP classes but only managed to pass 2 [waiting for my senior year AP scores]. My SAT and ACT were subpar at best [1570/22] but in my mind I know that I am far from stupid. I went to one of the top 5 worst highschools in california. i applied to some UCs and CSUs but was rejected from 95% of them. I chose to go the CCC route because I would rather try again in 2 years and aim for the stars.

so i come here today to ask what is needed to transfer out of a CC into a school with prestige. the schools id like to attend in the future would be; (for chemical engineering) Cornell, UCB, Georgia Tech, UCLA, CalTech (i wish), Stanford (i wish again) and schools of that prestige. I know it will be far from easy, but I just want a general guideline as to what I need to do. (do i need a lot of EC's, if so what kind, my GPA, my courseload, etc etc)

thank you so much if you read through all of that!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    That's easy, just get really good marks and do a Summer placement or two.
    You seem a bit hung-up on "prestige". You might want to look at "good" courses instead. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    thank you for the response :) and what is the difference?

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    I don't think that a course run at any of those univerisities will be bad (I haven't checked but it seems ok). i more saying that you pay a heavy premium for chasing status.

An example: A friend of mine is going to UPenn for a masters next year to the tune of $40,000, when U of Illinois offered them a full tuition scholarship. I thought they were crazy because it is just so much money and Illinois is a really good school, but they just couldn't get the whole "Ivy league" idea out of their head. So now they are spending (what I consider) a small fortune.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    while being a good point, your friend probably thought the networking possibilites were worth to 40k? I agree though, that is a TON of money

7. Jun 11, 2012 #6
    Ever try looking into University of Delaware? Top 10 ChemE and not ridiculously hard to get into. You could always try getting into the school and then transferring into ChemE. You may come out with less of a debt burden from U of D too.

8. Jun 11, 2012 #7
    i was looking into other schools yesterday and Delaware caught my eye. I will probably end up applying to all of the top 10 chemE schools and choose the one where i will graduate with the least amount of debt :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook