Road to a good engineering school?

In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking advice on how to transfer from a community college to a prestigious university for a chemical engineering degree. They are asking for a general guideline on what is needed, such as high marks, extracurriculars, GPA, and course load. Another member suggests not getting too caught up in prestige and considering good courses instead. They give an example of a friend choosing an expensive Ivy League school over a more affordable and highly ranked option. Other members suggest looking into University of Delaware as a top 10 chemical engineering program with less of a debt burden.
beachhouse
hello, pf i am new here and this is my first post and i would like to know what course of action i will need to take in order to reach my goals. [sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is can a mod please move it to the correct location]

a little backround info;

I just graduated high school a couple of days ago and i will be attending a CCC. (SMC). in high school i took many AP classes but only managed to pass 2 [waiting for my senior year AP scores]. My SAT and ACT were subpar at best [1570/22] but in my mind I know that I am far from stupid. I went to one of the top 5 worst high schools in california. i applied to some UCs and CSUs but was rejected from 95% of them. I chose to go the CCC route because I would rather try again in 2 years and aim for the stars.

so i come here today to ask what is needed to transfer out of a CC into a school with prestige. the schools id like to attend in the future would be; (for chemical engineering) Cornell, UCB, Georgia Tech, UCLA, CalTech (i wish), Stanford (i wish again) and schools of that prestige. I know it will be far from easy, but I just want a general guideline as to what I need to do. (do i need a lot of EC's, if so what kind, my GPA, my courseload, etc etc)

thank you so much if you read through all of that!

Physics news on Phys.org
beachhouse said:
so i come here today to ask what is needed to transfer out of a CC into a school with prestige.

That's easy, just get really good marks and do a Summer placement or two.
You seem a bit hung-up on "prestige". You might want to look at "good" courses instead. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

thank you for the response :) and what is the difference?

I don't think that a course run at any of those univerisities will be bad (I haven't checked but it seems ok). i more saying that you pay a heavy premium for chasing status.

An example: A friend of mine is going to UPenn for a masters next year to the tune of $40,000, when U of Illinois offered them a full tuition scholarship. I thought they were crazy because it is just so much money and Illinois is a really good school, but they just couldn't get the whole "Ivy league" idea out of their head. So now they are spending (what I consider) a small fortune.

while being a good point, your friend probably thought the networking possibilites were worth to 40k? I agree though, that is a TON of money

Ever try looking into University of Delaware? Top 10 ChemE and not ridiculously hard to get into. You could always try getting into the school and then transferring into ChemE. You may come out with less of a debt burden from U of D too.

i was looking into other schools yesterday and Delaware caught my eye. I will probably end up applying to all of the top 10 chemE schools and choose the one where i will graduate with the least amount of debt :P

1. What are the key factors that contribute to getting into a good engineering school?

There are several factors that can contribute to getting into a good engineering school, including strong academic performance, extracurricular activities and involvement, letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement or essay. Some schools may also consider standardized test scores and demonstrate interest in the field of engineering.

2. How important are grades in the admissions process for engineering schools?

Grades are a crucial factor in the admissions process for engineering schools. Admissions committees are looking for students who have excelled in rigorous math and science coursework, as it demonstrates preparedness for the challenging curriculum of an engineering program.

3. Are there specific engineering courses or subjects that I should take in high school to increase my chances of getting into a good engineering school?

While it's important to take a variety of challenging math and science courses in high school, there isn't a specific set of courses that will guarantee admission to a good engineering school. However, taking advanced courses in calculus, physics, and chemistry can help demonstrate your readiness for a rigorous engineering program.

4. How important is it to have extracurricular activities related to engineering when applying to engineering schools?

Extracurricular activities related to engineering can certainly strengthen your application, but they are not necessarily required for admission. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded students who have shown dedication and passion in their pursuits, whether they are related to engineering or not.

5. Is it necessary to have prior experience in engineering before applying to an engineering school?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in engineering before applying to an engineering school. Many students enter engineering programs with little to no prior experience in the field. However, having some exposure to engineering through internships, summer programs, or self-guided projects can show your interest and dedication to the field.