Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program

In summary, the speaker is a junior in the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Utah and is considering pursuing a graduate program in Nuclear Engineering. They are unsure whether to complete a minor in NE during their undergraduate studies or to double major in Applied Physics. They also mention taking specific courses recommended by someone named Astronuc. They ask for advice on how these choices may impact their future career in NE.
daric soldar
Hello all,
I'm currently a junior in the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Utah. I'd like to go into either the MS or PhD program in Nuclear Engineering there. There is no BS in Nuclear Engineering offered there, but there is an NE minor for undergraduates, which would allow the MS students to take a broader variety of courses than if a minor were not earned (in which case, several of the 30 credit hours that go toward earning an MS would be used to take introductory NE courses taught in the minor).

If I'm planning on doing research in NE, and possibly earning a job at a national laboratory, should I just:

a) blaze through my BSME degree, forget the NE minor, and apply for the graduate NE program
b) take an extra year or so to get the NE minor along with the BSME, allowing me to take more diverse courses in the NE program to increase/diversify skills in the field of NE.

I'm also thinking of double majoring in Applied Physics along with Mechanical Engineering. It would only be an additional 7 courses (so about 2 semesters extra). Otherwise, I am planning on definitely earning a minor in Physics with courses in introductory QFT & Relativity and introductory nuclear & particle physics. Are these additional physics courses even useful for Nuclear Engineers in industry or performing research?

I've also taken Astronuc's advice, and I am planning on taking computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, and some kind of mechanics of materials/material science course (but hopefully not from Grant Smith, if you've kept up with the news lately...)

Thanks a bunch,
matt

Physics news on Phys.org
ask the NE graduate program admission people . . .

What is the "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program"?

The "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program" is a specialized program designed for students interested in pursuing a career in nuclear engineering. It provides a structured pathway for students to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to prepare them for graduate studies in this field.

What are the requirements for the program?

The specific requirements for the "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program" may vary depending on the institution or organization offering the program. However, in general, students are expected to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require prior coursework in engineering or related fields.

What can I expect to learn in this program?

The "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program" typically covers a range of topics related to nuclear engineering, including nuclear physics, reactor design and operation, radiation protection, and nuclear waste management. Students will also learn about the various applications of nuclear technology and their impact on society.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of the "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program" are well-prepared for careers in the nuclear energy industry, research and development, and government agencies. They may also pursue advanced studies in nuclear engineering or related fields.

How long does the program take to complete?

The duration of the "Road to Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program" may vary depending on the institution, but it typically takes 2-3 years to complete. This may also depend on the student's prior education and whether they are pursuing the program full-time or part-time.