Road to Robotics (Artificial Intelligence)

In summary, Werner, a freshman at Cal Poly Pomona, is interested in pursuing a career in robotics and artificial intelligence. He is considering a double major in Computer Engineering and Computer Science, and is wondering which one would be more beneficial for his career goals. He also wants to know the potential for the field in terms of job availability and is considering a specialization. It is important for him to have knowledge and experience in mechanics, electronics, and software to truly excel in robotics. While some people primarily work with simulated robots, it is important to pay attention to the way physical robots function. A degree in Computer Science may not be the most useful for someone interested in robotics, but rather a degree in engineering. Werner may also want to explore Randy
WernerOne
Hello ppl, my name is Werner and I am new to the forums. Well, i am currently a freshman at Cal Poly Pomona and undecided on what degree to take. My main objective is to work on Robotics/Mechatronics fields, concentrating mainly on artificial intelligence. By AI, i mean developing the "mind" of a robot. In my school, they offer a BS in Computer Engineering and a BS in Computer Science, and I'm wondering which one should i devote my time to so that my knowledge and work would be more into the artificial intelligence part of the robot industry. I think it would be more directed towards Computer Science. hmmm, I'm also thinking about a double major! haha

I also heard that i have to have a specialization, if this is true then what would be the best fit specialization for me?

I also would like to know the potential for this field, present and the future. Like the availability of jobs.

so yeah, input is greatly appreciated! Another roboticist on the way! haha

Physics news on Phys.org
Robotics generally encompasses mechanics, electronics and software. However, to really master robotics, I think that it is important to have at least some knowledge and experience with all three components.

There are people who consider themselves roboticists these days who work primarily with simulated robots--software models of robots--so robotics can be largely software. But even those scientists try to pay attention to the way physical robots function, so that their models will be accurate.

Computer Science is useless if you want to get into robotics. Compsci is easy but useless for someone who intends to study robotics. You need to go for engineering.
There is no degree in just robotics for start, but in Electrical and Computer Engineering, esp Computer Systems Engineering.

You should also check out whatever Randy Beer is doing. He does software modeling of robots, which sounds like it fits your interests perfectly.

On a sidenote, I don't want to discourage you but the amount of applicants for mechatronics/robotics is just tremendous...

Hi Werner, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your interest in the exciting field of robotics and artificial intelligence! It's great to see more young minds like yourself eager to contribute to this rapidly growing industry.

I can tell you that both computer engineering and computer science are valuable degrees for pursuing a career in robotics and AI. However, if your main focus is on developing the "mind" of a robot, then computer science may be a better fit for you. Computer science programs typically have a stronger emphasis on software development and programming, which are essential skills for creating intelligent robots.

Regarding your question about specialization, it is true that having a specialization can be beneficial in the job market. Some potential specializations for you could be machine learning, computer vision, or natural language processing – all of which are crucial components of artificial intelligence.

In terms of job availability, the field of robotics and AI is expanding rapidly and there is a high demand for skilled professionals in this area. As technology continues to advance, the need for intelligent robots in various industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, and transportation will only increase. Additionally, with the rise of autonomous vehicles and smart homes, the potential for job growth in this field is immense.

I hope this helps guide your decision-making process. My advice would be to research and explore both computer engineering and computer science programs, and choose the one that aligns best with your interests and career goals. Best of luck on your road to robotics and AI!

1. What is the difference between robotics and artificial intelligence?

Robotics is the branch of technology that deals with the design, construction, and operation of robots. On the other hand, artificial intelligence (AI) is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems. While robotics focuses on creating physical machines that can perform tasks, AI focuses on creating intelligent software that can process data and make decisions.

2. How is artificial intelligence used in robotics?

AI is used in robotics to enable machines to make decisions, adapt to changing environments, and learn from experiences. This is done by programming the robot with algorithms that allow it to process and analyze data, and then make decisions based on that data. This allows robots to perform tasks without constant human input, making them more efficient and autonomous.

3. What are some applications of robotics and artificial intelligence?

Robotics and AI have a wide range of applications, including manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, agriculture, and entertainment. In manufacturing, robots can perform tasks like assembly and welding, increasing efficiency and precision. In healthcare, AI can be used for medical diagnosis and treatment planning. In transportation, self-driving cars use AI to navigate and make decisions on the road.

4. What are some potential benefits of advancements in road to robotics and artificial intelligence?

Advancements in robotics and AI have the potential to greatly benefit society. They can increase productivity, improve safety by replacing humans in dangerous tasks, and provide solutions for tasks that are difficult or impossible for humans to perform. They can also create new job opportunities, as well as improve the overall quality of life for individuals.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the development of artificial intelligence in robotics?

Yes, there are numerous ethical concerns surrounding the development of AI in robotics. These include issues of privacy, bias, and the potential for AI to surpass human intelligence and pose a threat. It is important for developers to consider and address these concerns to ensure responsible and ethical use of AI in robotics.