Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robertson-Walker Models Conformally Flat

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    As an understanding exercise in my general relativity course my professor recommended proving to ourselves that all Robertson-Walker models are conformally flat. However, I am unsure of how to approach such a proof. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By homogeneity, tidal forces vanish, i.e., the Weyl tensor is zero. Since the Weyl tensor is zero, the spacetime is conformally flat.

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Is it homogeneity or isotropy? The Robertson-Walker metric is both. But you can have a cosmology with different expansion rates in different directions:

ds2 = dt2 - a(t)dx2 - b(t)dy2 - c(t)dz2

which is homogeneous but not isotropic. I'd guess the Weyl tensor for this type of cosmology is nonzero.

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, thanks for the correction.

6. Oct 5, 2012 #5
    I don't get this. If the expansion rates are anisotropic then it would seem that the space could only be homogeneous at a particular moment in time. From that point becoming inhomogeneous from then on.
    ???

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Each hypersurface t = const in the spacetime is a flat 3-space, hence it is always homogeneous. But the expansion rate is different in different directions. This is an example of a Bianchi cosmology, of which there are nine types, each with a different symmetry. See for example Ken Jacobs' thesis.

8. Oct 7, 2012 #7
    I'm doubtful that a non-isotropic cosmology can be made flat thru a conformal transformation. How do you preserve the angles when going from anisotropy to
    isotropy?

Edit:eek:ops, I realize this seems to be precisely your point.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook