Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robotic gripper circuiot problems

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    Robotic gripper

I need some ideas on how to solve these problems;

I have 5 identical motors running independantly in the gripper. Each one of them has a slightly different internal resistance and therefore pulls a different current.

My main problems are either the motor losing power or overheating, this is due to the motors not pulling an equal current. I think the problem might also stem from the very small H bridges that I am using to drive each of the motors.

What I am interested in knowing is if there are any novel solutions to minimise and control the mechanical friction, and also to minimise any voltage drops. Ideally I am looking for a situation where the force of each motor in the gripper is exactly proortional to the current. Also that the force and the current could be read accurately from a powerprofile for each of the motors.

Do you think I would see an improvement if I used a thermagel heat dissipation strip attached to the H bridges?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2
    You didn't state the Vcc voltage, the H-bridges, and the motor current you are using. Most H-bridges are relatively inefficient below ~6 volts; 12 volts is better. Are you using PWM (pulse width modulation) to control motor current? The automotive industry has made 12 volts a standard for H-bridge efficiency and performance design. Are any of your H-bridges too hot to touch? If yes then heatsink it to metal with thermally conductive compound.
    Bob S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook