Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Robotics and motion replication

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    Hey all

I'm working with a simple 'robot' that consists of a sensor (rotary encoder) and a DC motor. Both are coupled through a computer. My goal is to simply replicate any rotation the sensor undergoes using the motor. For example if the sensor turns one revolution in a second, I want the motor to replicate the same motion in real-time.

I can obtain position data from the encoder at a fairly high frequency. I realize that motion control in robotics is a huge field unto itself. I'm new at this and would really appreciate some references (websites, textbooks, etc) that I could look at. I'm having trouble with the 'key words' I'd use to find literature on this topic specifically.

Regards,

-Preet

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomechanism" [Broken] is one place to start.

For your example, you could use an optical encoder on the motor as the feedback/error signal. Try to make this error zero.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook