Where Can I Find Resources to Get Started in Robotics?

• Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robotics
In summary, the author is looking to start robotics learning, and recommends starting with an intermediate-level kit such as the one mentioned.
some bloke
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to try my hand at robotics, and I am a complete novice at it - I have a reasonable head for coding and can negotiate logic circuits easily, but I have never done anything with robotics.

My first project is to produce 2 robots of identical proportions, where one is manipulated manually and the other replicates it's motions. I plan to use 2 angle poise lamps as a base, then add sensors and motors to identify the angle of each joint and replicate it on the second one. I thought it to be a good, basic entry-level project, with minimal fabrication & cost.

Can anyone recommend some good basics to start with? I understand that raspberry pi is quite a good platform, but I want to know the general feeling of people before I go investing in things.

any free courses anyone knows about will be gratefully received as well.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
some bloke said:
then add sensors and motors to identify the angle of each joint and replicate it on the second
Well I don't know what type of motor, sensors and control you will decide upon.

Stepper motors are useful for robotics, since they do not "require" position feedback since they can count on their own the absolute or differential position from a starting setpoint.
So you could do a readup on their function and control.
One comprehensive site is,
http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Likes berkeman
I like @256bits advice. Start with a single joint. Choose an acuator such as a stepper motor. Choose a sensor such as an optical encoder. Learn how to connect them and control them via software with Rasberry Pi or Arduino.

Once you have that mastered, then a robot is just a collection of multiple joints.

One important choice up front is how "strong" must this robot be. Do you want it to just move itself, or to lift heavy objects?

some bloke said:
I'm looking to try my hand at robotics, and I am a complete novice at it
Check out the Maker resources for robot project ideas. If there is a Maker Faire near you, they can be very fun and inspirational to attend. :smile:

https://makerfaire.com/

https://makezine.com/category/technology/robotics/

upload_2019-1-25_7-25-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-25_7-25-37.png
    upload_2019-1-25_7-25-37.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 387
For a "complete novice" as described, I would recommend starting with an advanced Lego Mindstorms kit such as this one: Lego Mindstorms EV3 31313 Robot Kit. This kit specifically is a good start from an educational perspective due to the large community of builders who use it, and there are numerous step-by-step tutorials that can be followed to build progressively more advanced robots using sensors and motors to complete tasks. You can make some impressively advanced robots with the relatively basic kit, and can experiment with control systems and programming as well.

Once you're comfortable and start to outgrow the MindStorms (which would take quite a while based on my experience with them), you can consider going more advanced with a more enthusiast or engineer solution using microcontrollers and raw components like stepper motors or photodetectors.

Good luck!

Likes FactChecker, berkeman and jrmichler

1. Where can I find information about different types of robots?

There are many resources available online that provide information about different types of robots. Some good places to start include robotics websites such as Robohub and RobotShop, as well as online forums and communities dedicated to robotics.

2. How can I learn about the basics of robotics?

One of the best ways to learn about the basics of robotics is to enroll in a robotics course or workshop. Many universities and community colleges offer introductory courses in robotics, and there are also online courses available. You can also find tutorials and educational resources on robotics websites and forums.

3. Are there any hands-on resources for learning about robotics?

Yes, there are many hands-on resources available for learning about robotics. Some options include robotics kits, which come with all the necessary materials and instructions to build and program a robot, and robotics clubs or meetups, where you can work on projects with other enthusiasts and learn from each other.

4. Where can I find resources for programming robots?

There are several resources available for learning how to program robots. Many robotics websites and forums offer tutorials and guides for programming different types of robots. You can also find online courses and books specifically focused on programming for robotics.

5. Is there a community or forum for robotics enthusiasts?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums for robotics enthusiasts. These can be great places to connect with others who share your interest in robotics, ask questions, and share resources and ideas. Some popular forums include RobotForum and Let's Make Robots.