Rock climber elastic rope problem

In summary, the problem involves two rock climbers, Bill and Karen, using safety ropes of similar length. Karen's rope is more elastic, while Bill's is static. In a fall, Karen's rope stretches by 1.0m, while Bill's stretches by only 30cm. Using physics equations, it can be estimated that Karen will feel a force of 13 times her weight from the rope, while Bill will feel a force of 8.7 times his weight. Since Karen's rope is more elastic, she is less likely to be hurt in a fall.
hewhoeatspie
SOLVED

Homework Statement

Two rock climbers, Bill and Karen, use safety ropes of similar length. Karen's rope is more elastic, called a dynamic rope by climbers. Bill has a static rope, not recommended for safety purposes in pro climbing. Karn falls freely about 2.0m and then the rope stops her over a distance of 1.0m. (a) Estimate, assuming that the force is constant, how large a force she will feel from the rope. (Express the result in multiples of her weight.) (b) In a similar fall, Bill's rope stretches by 30cm only. How many times his weight will the his weight will the rope pull on him? Which climber is more likely to be hurt?

Homework Equations

(Not entirely sure)
d=g(0.5)t^2
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

d=g(0.5)t^2
1.0=9.8(0.5)t^2 = t=0.45
(I used a simulation to get that something that falls for 2m will be falling at a velocity of 6.2 m/s...I'm not the best at physics.)
v=6.2m/s
a=(-6.2m/s)/0.45 = a=-13m/s^2
F=Frope-Fg
ma=Frope-Fg
Frope=ma-Fg
Frope=m(-13m/s^2)-Fg
?

That that's where I got stumped. I'm sorry if I didn't provide enough information, or if it was jumbled, I'm new here.

I haven't even tried the second half...

EDIT: Nevermind, I got some help and solved it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) Karen will feel a force of 13 times her weight.b) Bill will feel a force of 8.7 times his weight. Since Karen's rope is more elastic, she is less likely to be hurt.

I can provide a more thorough and accurate solution to the rock climber elastic rope problem. Firstly, we can use the equation F=ma to determine the force experienced by Karen when she falls. We know that her mass is equal to her weight divided by the acceleration due to gravity (m=mg), so we can rewrite the equation as F=mg*a. Since we are given the distance and velocity of her fall, we can use the equation d=vt-0.5at^2 to solve for the acceleration (a) which is equal to -13m/s^2. Plugging this into our original equation, we get F=mg*(-13m/s^2) which simplifies to F=-13mg. This means that Karen is experiencing a force that is 13 times her weight, or 13g.

For Bill, we are given that his rope stretches by 30cm, or 0.3m, when he falls. We can use the same equation d=vt-0.5at^2 to solve for the acceleration (a) which is equal to -0.3m/s^2. Plugging this into our original equation, we get F=mg*(-0.3m/s^2) which simplifies to F=-0.3mg. This means that Bill is experiencing a force that is 0.3 times his weight, or 0.3g. This is significantly less than the force experienced by Karen, making her more likely to be hurt in a fall.

In conclusion, it is important for climbers to use dynamic ropes, which are more elastic and can absorb more energy, thus reducing the force experienced during a fall. This is crucial for safety purposes in professional climbing.

1. What is the "rock climber elastic rope problem"?

The "rock climber elastic rope problem" is a physics problem that involves a rock climber attached to a rope, with the other end of the rope attached to an anchor point. The rope has some elasticity, and the climber is at a certain distance from the anchor point.

2. How does the elasticity of the rope affect the problem?

The elasticity of the rope affects the problem because it determines how much the rope will stretch when the climber falls. This can affect the distance the climber falls and the force experienced by both the climber and the anchor point.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the problem?

The factors that affect the outcome of the problem include the length and elasticity of the rope, the distance of the climber from the anchor point, the mass of the climber, and the force of gravity.

4. Can this problem be solved using equations from physics?

Yes, this problem can be solved using equations from physics, specifically those related to forces, energy, and elasticity. These equations can help determine the maximum distance the climber will fall and the force experienced by the climber and anchor point.

5. How is the "rock climber elastic rope problem" relevant in real life?

This problem is relevant in real life for rock climbers and mountaineers, as it helps them understand the physics behind the forces and energy involved in their sport. It can also be applied in other situations involving elastic ropes, such as bungee jumping or rappelling.