Rock climbing energy conservation

In summary, if a climber falls from a height of 2L while attached to a rope which has a maximum stretch of 6L, the force applied to the climber is 26mg. If the climber excludes the energy gained during the 2L fall, the force is 25mg.
dfx
Hi,
A rather simple question that I just can't seem to solve:

The greatest instantaneous acceleration a person can survive is 25g, where g is the acceleration of free fall. A climber's rope should be selected such taht, if the climber falls when the rope is attached to a fixed point on a vertical rock, the fall will be survived.

A climber of mass m is attached to a rope which is attached firmly to a rock face at B as shown. When at a point A, a distance L above B, the climber falls.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2483/rockclimbjh9.jpg

(the red bit is the rope)

(a) Assuming that the rope obeys Hooke's law upto the breaking, use the principle of conservation of energy and the condition for greatest instantaneous acceleration to show that the part AB of the rope (of unstretched length L) must be able to stretch by more than L/6 whithout breaking for the climber to survive

My working:

After the climber falls under freefall for a maximum distance of 2L (from A to B, and then the length L of the rope which makes it a total of 2L), then he has maximum kinetic energy which is K.E = [tex] (1/2)mv^2 [/tex] but [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as = 4gL [/tex]

Then K.E. = elastic potential energy + gpe ... (i)

EPE = [tex] (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)Fx [/tex]

and GPE = mgx , where x is the extension during the rope stretching.

So from (i):

[tex] (1/2)mv^2 = mgx + (1/2)Fx [/tex] and since F = ma, with the maximum instantaneous acceleration of 25g, then F = 25mg

[tex] 2mgL = mgx + (25/2)mgx [/tex]

[tex] 2L = (27/2)x [/tex]

Therefore [tex] x = (4/27) L [/tex] ? but the required answer is x = L/6 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
here's my suggestion, don't try and kill yourself by having expression like:

EPE = KE + GPE

KE after all comes from GPE so y dun we express it as:

EPE = GPE(Big)

Makes life much easier isn't?

But I don't get how you can just exclude the KE that is gained when falling the distance of 2L, because the GPE I've included is purely for the extension bit (x), and does not overlap with the GPE during the 2L fall.

Also if you do exclude it as you suggest, then I can't seem to get an equation with "L" in it, which is fundamental to solving the q.

Thanks for your help though. :smile:

dfx said:
So from (i):

[tex] (1/2)mv^2 = mgx + (1/2)Fx [/tex] and since F = ma, with the maximum instantaneous acceleration of 25g, then F = 25mg

[tex] 2mgL = mgx + (25/2)mgx [/tex]

[tex] 2L = (27/2)x [/tex]

Therefore [tex] x = (4/27) L [/tex] ? but the required answer is x = L/6 ?
The change in gravitational potential energy is [itex]\Delta(PE) = mg(2L+\Delta x)[/itex] where [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the amount of the rope stretch. This is all converted into elastic potential energy of the rope at maximum stretch (KE = 0). If the maximum deceleration is 25g, the force is 26mg (weight of climber + 25mg for the deceleration). So kx = F has a maximum of 26mg:

[tex]mg(2L+\Delta x) = \frac{1}{2}k(\Delta x)^2 = \frac{1}{2}26mg(\Delta x)[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Ah I ignored the weight! Thank you.

Also seem to have got the energy slightly messed up but I understand now.

thanks i was stuck on this queation and missed the weight of the person as well!

1. How does energy conservation play a role in rock climbing?

Energy conservation is a crucial aspect of rock climbing as it allows climbers to efficiently use their energy and minimize fatigue during climbs. By conserving energy, climbers can sustain their strength and endurance for longer periods of time, allowing them to complete more challenging routes.

2. What are some strategies for conserving energy while rock climbing?

Some strategies for conserving energy while rock climbing include using proper technique and body positioning, taking breaks and utilizing rest positions, pacing oneself, and focusing on breathing and relaxation.

3. How does muscle strength and endurance impact energy conservation in rock climbing?

Muscle strength and endurance play a significant role in energy conservation during rock climbing. Stronger muscles can handle more strenuous movements and support the body's weight, while endurance allows for sustained performance without tiring quickly.

4. Are there any equipment or gear that can help with energy conservation in rock climbing?

Yes, there are certain pieces of equipment that can aid in energy conservation while rock climbing. These include climbing shoes with good grip, chalk to keep hands dry and prevent slipping, and climbing harnesses that distribute weight evenly.

5. Why is energy conservation important for both safety and performance in rock climbing?

Energy conservation is crucial for both safety and performance in rock climbing. By conserving energy, climbers can avoid exhaustion and minimize the risk of injury. It also allows for better performance, as climbers can focus on completing difficult moves and reaching the top of the route without being hindered by fatigue.