Rock thrown off a horizontal cliff

In summary, the two stones have the same speed when they hit the ground because their vertical velocity is the same.
Kiana Hill
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

The question states a stone is thrown off a cliff horizontal and it eventually hits the ground. A second stone is dropped from rest at the same height and it hits the ground too. The question asks which are the following quantities are the same or different; displacement, speed right before it hits the ground and time. I know that displacement for the first stone is greater because the resultant is greater. The time, I know, is the same but I believe it is because the initial height is the same so it would take the same amount of time. What I don't get is the speed right before it hits the ground. I am guessing it has to do with the component of velocity, vx and vy but I'm not sure why. All I know for sure is for the first stone, the velocity is the same as the vy and there is no vx, and for the second stone the velocity is at an angle right before it hits the ground but why does that necessarily mean, the velocity is greater?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Exaggerate the situation--imagine a bullet dropped from your hand and another bullet fired horizontally from a gun. Which will have the greater speed (magnitude of resultant velocity vector) upon impact?

lewando said:
Exaggerate the situation--imagine a bullet dropped from your hand and another bullet fired horizontally from a gun. Which will have the greater speed (magnitude of resultant velocity vector) upon impact?
That makes way more senses.

Kiana Hill said:
why does that necessarily mean, the velocity is greater?
Same reason as for displacement: vy is the same for both but vx is different.

I'm assuming that this is one of those weightless strings and frictionless planes type of thought experiment. Therefore my first thought was that the vertical component of velocity will be the same as they will both have been falling for the same time prior to hitting the ground, but one has had extra energy imparted to it in the form of momentum therefore the speed that generates must be in addition to the vertical velocity.

1. What causes a rock to be thrown off a horizontal cliff?

A rock can be thrown off a horizontal cliff due to various factors such as strong winds, movement of the ground, or external forces like animals or humans.

2. How far can a rock be thrown off a horizontal cliff?

The distance a rock can be thrown off a horizontal cliff depends on several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of projection, and air resistance. It can range from a few meters to several hundred meters.

3. What is the trajectory of a rock thrown off a horizontal cliff?

The trajectory of a rock thrown off a horizontal cliff is a parabolic curve, which is influenced by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and gravity.

4. Why does a rock thrown off a horizontal cliff eventually hit the ground?

A rock thrown off a horizontal cliff eventually hits the ground due to the force of gravity. As the rock travels through the air, it is constantly pulled towards the ground by the gravitational force until it reaches the ground.

5. Can the mass of a rock affect how far it is thrown off a horizontal cliff?

Yes, the mass of a rock can affect how far it is thrown off a horizontal cliff. A heavier rock will require more force to be thrown off the cliff and will also experience more air resistance, resulting in a shorter distance traveled compared to a lighter rock with the same initial velocity and angle of projection.