1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket accelaation at the start of fuel burn

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1

nag

Hi Guys this is the problem I am stuck at:

The solid fuel of a 420.0 kg rocket traveling at 18100.0 km/hr is ignited to correct the rocket trajectory in mid-flight to Mars. 5.00 kg of fuel is burnt in 13.0 s. If the exhaust velocity of the fuel, relative to the rocket, is 3650.00 km/hr, what is the acceleration of the rocket (in m/s2) at the start of this burn?

I tried momentum conservation and unable to end up with correct accl of Rocket.

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt.

The rate of change of momentum of the rocket exhaust gives you the net force on the rocket. So you should be able to determine the acceleration at the beginning of the burn. Why is it (slightly) different at the beginning than at the end of the burn?

AM

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

nag

Thanks for the help. It is obvious that backward thrust imposes forward force on rocket. In this case as the fuel start to burn I guess rocket gains a little acceleration. Please correct me If I am wrong or missing any.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

nag

Thanks for the help. It is obvious that backward thrust imposes forward force on rocket. In this case as the fuel start to burn I guess rocket gains a little acceleration. Please correct me If I am wrong or missing any.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5

nag

Hi,

I followed your reply and net force on rocket = (1013.89 m/s)(5/13)kg/s = 389.96N

Since F=ma => a = 389.96 / 420(the initial mass)

Is this right way of doing. Thanks.

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks right.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook