1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket accelerating thru a dust cloud

1. Dec 25, 2006 #1
    hi...
    a rocket of mass M is flying through a dust cloud the cloud has a density of P. the rocket's cross section is A. every dusticle the rocket colides with becomes permenantly attached.
    the rocket is ejecting material (as a propellant) at the same rate that it assimilates it. the speed of the ejection relative to the rocket is
    [tex]V_g [/tex]
    find the rockets acceleration as a function of its speed V

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    F = M{{dv} \over {dt}} + (u - v){{dm} \over {dt}}

[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    i'v found dm, i think:
    [tex]
    dm = APdx = APVdt

[/tex]

so presumably, to find
    the acceleration i did this:
    [tex]
    \eqalign
    & dV = adt - V_0 = V_1 - V_0 \cr
    [/tex]
    [tex] & - V_0 dm = - V_g dm + MV_1 \cr[/tex]
    but now im totally stuck...
    any help? please?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This does not look right

[tex]
    dV = adt - V_0 = V_1 - V_0 \cr
    [/tex]

The definition of acceleration is just a = dV/dt

Since the mass of the rocket is not changing, you can treat the collision//expulsion of a mass dm using conservation of momentum. It does not matter that the gas expelled is not the same piece of matter as the dm that is captured. Think of a head-on collision between two objects of mass M and dm with M moving at an initial velocity V and dm at rest. The final velocity of dm is known in terms of V and the relative exhaust velocity. Solve for the final velocity of M and find the rate of change of velocity dV/dt. This will look a lot like your force equation, but I don't think you have that equation quite right. Maybe it's just a matter of interpretation. What force are you representing by that equation?

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3
    ok.. i think you are right. so using conservation of momentum i can approach it like this:
    in an infinitesimally small ammonut of time, the following equation holds true:

[tex] VM = (V + dV)M + (V - V_g )dm [/tex]
    [tex]VM = (V + dV)M + (V - V_g )APdx [/tex]
    [tex] VM = VM + Mdv + (V - V_g )APdx [/tex]
    [tex]{{(V - V_g )APdx} \over {dt}} = M{{dv} \over {dt}} [/tex]
    [tex] {{(V - V_g )APV} \over M} = a [/tex]

p.s. how do i make a newline in tex?? \newline doesnt seem to work

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?