Rocket launch pad powered by liner actuator

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the most cost-effective way to build a launch pad that can move from 0-90 degrees and operate on a 12v battery. They have two ideas, one using a linear actuator and the other using a motor. They also need help with calculations and are open to other ideas. Suggestions include using servo motors or a pulley system for smoother and more precise movement. It is also important to consider the weight of the launch pad and the required force when choosing the appropriate motor size and torque.
Roro86
Hello,

I'm trying to build this, but I'm confused a bit about the optimal cheaper way of getting it working, it should be working on 12v battery car and cover 0-90 degree of movement , I've in mind couple of simple ideas, I think I can't build a complicated one like military launch pads mounted on trucks :)

First idea (using liner actuator):
[URL]http://216.231.132.24/rami.ws/launch_pad_act.png[/URL]

Second idea (using a motor):
[URL]http://216.231.132.24/rami.ws/launch_pad_motor.png[/URL]

I need help in some calculations too, for example, a liner actuator 700N can't do the job, right? I'd be happy to hear another ideas as well.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 1st way can apply the greatest moment to the platform when it's vertical, but that's also when the required force is lowest. So the 2nd way keeps the actuator operating within a narrower range of loads, so it can be more optimally sized and operated.

As for economy, if you buy an industrial actuator, you're paying for very long life. If you only expect to use it occasionally it may be cheaper to use a lower quality home-made one.

Have you considered a gearmotor driving the pivot directly or via a chain?

The 2nd way means the platform doesn't have to support such a large bending moment, so you can save on construction of that.

Hi there,

I would suggest looking into using servo motors for this project. They are commonly used in RC cars and can provide precise and smooth movement. Additionally, they can be controlled easily with a microcontroller or even a simple Arduino board.

As for the calculations, you will need to determine the weight of your launch pad and the amount of force needed to move it from 0-90 degrees. This will help you determine the appropriate servo motor size and torque needed.

Another idea could be to use a pulley system with a motor to move the launch pad. This would distribute the weight and force across multiple points, making it easier for the motor to move the pad.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a rocket launch pad powered by a liner actuator?

A rocket launch pad powered by a liner actuator is a mechanism that uses a linear actuator to raise and lower the launch platform for a rocket. The linear actuator is a type of motor that converts rotational motion into linear motion, allowing for precise control of the platform's height.

2. How does a linear actuator work in a rocket launch pad?

In a rocket launch pad, the linear actuator is typically connected to a gear system that translates the rotational motion of the motor into vertical movement of the launch platform. The motor is controlled by a computer system that can adjust the platform's height to accommodate different rocket sizes and launch angles.

3. What are the benefits of using a linear actuator in a rocket launch pad?

Using a linear actuator in a rocket launch pad allows for precise control and adjustment of the launch platform's height. This is important for ensuring the rocket is at the correct angle for launch and can also help with weight distribution and stability. Additionally, linear actuators are more compact and efficient than other types of motors, making them a popular choice for space applications.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a linear actuator in a rocket launch pad?

One potential drawback of using a linear actuator in a rocket launch pad is the risk of mechanical failure. If the actuator malfunctions during a launch, it could lead to a catastrophic event. However, with proper maintenance and safety protocols in place, this risk can be minimized.

5. What advancements have been made in rocket launch pads using linear actuators?

In recent years, there have been advancements in the design and technology of rocket launch pads using linear actuators. These include the use of more powerful and efficient motors, as well as the incorporation of sensors and computer systems for real-time monitoring and adjustment of the launch platform. These advancements have helped to improve the precision and reliability of rocket launches.