Rocket launch that produces a certain g-force

In summary, calculating the period during rocket launch that produces a certain g-force will depend on the specific situation and can be determined using the formula (a/g)+1, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity. G-force is not influenced by velocity, but rather by acceleration.
jolande
How do you calculate the period during rocket launch that produces a certain g-force? Is there a formula to work this out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

My apologies HallsofIvy. I've been experiencing ISP issues and getting bumped repeatedly, so I typed up what I thought may have been the "quick and easy" explanation, posted it, and didn't have a chance to thoroughly recheck it before I got bumped again. It took me the last 20 minutes or so just to get reconnected.

Last edited:

It will depend on each specific situation. One g of acceleration is about 9.8 meters per second per second. 9.8[tex]m/s^2[/tex]

So at the point in the launch the rockets speed is changing by 9.8[tex]m/s^2[/tex] the craft is experiencing one g over and above the acceleration due to gravity.

? G force has nothing to do with velocity- it depends on acceleration. Was that just a repeated misprint? (Referring to Gnosis' post.) The formula should be (a/g)+ 1, not (v/g)+ 1. That is, you feel your normal weight due to gravity plus an additional "weight" due to the force causing the acceleration.

What is g-force?

G-force, also known as gravitational force, is a measurement of the force exerted on an object by gravity. It is typically measured in multiples of the acceleration of gravity on Earth, which is 9.8 meters per second squared (9.8 m/s²).

How is g-force measured during a rocket launch?

G-force is measured using an accelerometer, which is a device that measures the acceleration of an object. During a rocket launch, the accelerometer is placed on the rocket and measures the force exerted on the rocket as it accelerates.

What is the maximum g-force that a human can withstand?

The maximum g-force that a human can withstand varies depending on the direction and duration of the force. In general, humans can withstand a g-force of up to 5g for a short period of time, but prolonged exposure to g-forces above 3g can be dangerous.

How does g-force impact the human body during a rocket launch?

During a rocket launch, the human body experiences high levels of g-force which can cause blood to pool in the lower parts of the body, resulting in a decrease in blood flow to the brain. This can lead to lightheadedness, blurred vision, and even loss of consciousness.

How can g-forces be reduced during a rocket launch?

G-forces can be reduced during a rocket launch by using specialized seats and suits that distribute the force evenly throughout the body, as well as by using a gradual acceleration profile instead of a sudden one. Training and physical conditioning can also help astronauts withstand higher levels of g-force.