Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket launch that produces a certain g-force

1. Jan 1, 2009 #1
    How do you calculate the period during rocket launch that produces a certain g-force? Is there a formula to work this out?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2
    Re: G-Force

My apologies HallsofIvy. I've been experiencing ISP issues and getting bumped repeatedly, so I typed up what I thought may have been the "quick and easy" explanation, posted it, and didn't have a chance to thoroughly recheck it before I got bumped again. It took me the last 20 minutes or so just to get reconnected.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. Jan 1, 2009 #3

It will depend on each specific situation. One g of acceleration is about 9.8 meters per second per second. 9.8[tex]m/s^2[/tex]

So at the point in the launch the rockets speed is changing by 9.8[tex]m/s^2[/tex] the craft is experiencing one g over and above the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Jan 1, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? G force has nothing to do with velocity- it depends on acceleration. Was that just a repeated misprint? (Referring to Gnosis' post.) The formula should be (a/g)+ 1, not (v/g)+ 1. That is, you feel your normal weight due to gravity plus an additional "weight" due to the force causing the acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?