Rocket Propulsive efficiency at lift off

In summary, the propulsive efficiency of a rocket is at its peak when the rocket is traveling at the same speed as it is ejecting its exhaust. At rest, the efficiency is 0 due to the lack of kinetic energy, but there is still a force and acceleration present. Therefore, the efficiency will quickly increase as the rocket begins to move.
jonquark
According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propulsive_efficiency
the propulsive efficiency of a rocket is at its peak when the rocket is traveling at the same speed as it is ejecting its exhaust. I understand that, but the graph (and equation) on that Wikipedia page (and elsewhere on the internet) show the efficiency to be 0 when the rocket is as rest.

I don't understand - how can the rocket ever take off without infinite energy if the efficiency is 0? It doesn't intuitively feel right either - if I'm stood on a skateboard at rest and I throw a rock off the skateboard, I'd expect the skateboard to move (assuming the rock was heavy enough and I threw it hard enough).

I'd really appreciate any help that explained what I'm misunderstanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If the rocket is not moving, then it has no kinetic energy. In other words, there is no output energy, only input energy (power). That does not in any way imply that it can't accelerate: that intput energy is still able to generate a force that accelerates the rocket.

The power gained by the rocket = Force* Velocity. Since velocity is 0, the power is 0, and therefore the efficiency is 0.

However, there is still a force and an acceleration, which means that the efficiency will not stay at 0 for long.

1. What is rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off?

Rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off is a measure of how efficiently a rocket converts the energy from its fuel into thrust at the moment of liftoff. It is an important factor in determining the performance of a rocket during launch.

2. How is rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off calculated?

Rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off is calculated by dividing the total thrust produced by the rocket at liftoff by the total energy content of the fuel used. This calculation takes into account factors such as the type of fuel, the design of the rocket's engines, and the weight of the rocket.

3. What factors can affect rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off?

Several factors can affect rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off, including the type of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the rocket's engines, the weight of the rocket, and external factors such as atmospheric conditions and gravity.

4. Why is rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off important?

Rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off is important because it directly impacts the performance of a rocket during launch. A higher efficiency means the rocket can generate more thrust with less fuel, resulting in a more powerful launch and potentially saving costs on fuel. It also affects the rocket's ability to reach its intended destination.

5. Can rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off be improved?

Yes, rocket propulsive efficiency at lift off can be improved through advancements in technology, such as more efficient engine designs and lighter weight materials. However, there are also limitations and trade-offs involved, as increasing efficiency may also require sacrificing other important factors such as payload capacity or cost.