Rocket velocity including Universal gravitation

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the rocket equation with the effects of Universal Gravitation taken into account. The equation is given and the individual's thoughts on solving it are discussed. It is mentioned that it may need to be solved numerically and not analytically.
azaharak
First off this is not homework or coursework, just general interest.

I've been looking to derive the rocket equation which includes the effects of Universal Gravitation. I've been able to derive it assuming near Earth gravity where g is taking as constant acceleration.

d(vrocket)=-[G(Mearth)/(r^2)]dt -(dm/m)(vexaust)

where vexaust is the exhaust speed of the fuel.

My thoughts are to relate dt to (dt/dr)dr which is equal to (1/(vrocket))dr

This gives

d(vrocket)=-[G(Mrocket)(Mearth)/(r^2)]*(1/(vrocket))dr -(dm/m)(vexaust)

If I multiply by (vrocket) throughout this would be good for integration on the left side however it would proprogate to the differential mass term. Since vrocket isn't constant I can not simply integrate the right term (see below)

(vrocket)d(vrocket)=-[G(Mrocket)(Mearth)/(r^2)]dr -(dm/m)(vexaust)(vrocket).

Any ideas, is this even solvable analytically?

Best

AZ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking it must be solved numerically?

Anyone?

Thanks for the useful information/read but that doesn't assume universal gravitation, it assumes g=9.8m/s2

It does modulate the impulse delivered by the force of gravity by sin(theta) if the rocket is not traveling straight up.

Thanks, I think the equations need to be solved numerically (there is no analyitcal form).

Best

AZ

azaharak said:
Thanks for the useful information/read but that doesn't assume universal gravitation, it assumes g=9.8m/s2
It specifically does not assume that. Read the text: g is "the gravitational acceleration at the rocket's location".

1. What is rocket velocity?

Rocket velocity refers to the speed at which a rocket is moving. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is rocket velocity affected by universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation, also known as the force of gravity, affects the velocity of a rocket by pulling it towards the center of the object it is orbiting. This causes the rocket to accelerate and gain speed as it gets closer to the object.

3. What is the relationship between rocket velocity and universal gravitation?

The relationship between rocket velocity and universal gravitation is an inverse square law. This means that as the distance between the rocket and the object decreases, the force of gravity increases and the velocity of the rocket also increases.

4. How does rocket velocity impact the trajectory of a rocket?

The velocity of a rocket plays a crucial role in determining its trajectory. A higher velocity will result in a more parabolic trajectory, while a lower velocity will result in a more elliptical trajectory.

5. What factors can affect rocket velocity besides universal gravitation?

In addition to universal gravitation, factors such as the mass of the rocket, the thrust of the engine, and air resistance can also affect rocket velocity. These factors must be carefully considered and controlled in order to achieve the desired velocity and trajectory for a successful rocket launch.