1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roling vs Sliding Down an incline

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    Think about 2 objects (one rolling one sliding) down an incline. In terms of energy, see what you came up with and how they differ...be verbose!

All right I know that the rolling object would go down the incline faster and...i'm not sure but I think...the sliding one would gather the most energy do to friction but I don't know how to prove this....any clues?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The rolling one will gain both linear and angular kinetic energy, right? Can you show the equations for these? Can you write the equation of motion for a rolling object (ball and cylinder will be slightly different) as a function of the angle of the incline?

What is the equation of motion for the sliding object versus mu and the angle of the incline? What is the KE of the sliding object versus time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?