Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roll resistance calculations error?

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate weight transfer from the front to rear of a vehicle and have already calculated the total sprung weight to be transfered.

I now need to calculate the Roll resistance generated by the springs using the following forumula and this is where the error occurs.

(SF/(WmF/SmF)^2) x TF^2 [ x ] 2 x ∏ / 180 = ArF

In laymens terms

SF = Front Spring Rate
    WmF=Front Wheel Movement
    SmF=Relative Front Spring Movement
    TF = Front Track
    ArF = Roll Resistance of Front Springs

Now i can't figure out if the x i placed in brackets [ ] is supposed to be / (x or /)?

The example is as follows;

(175/(1.00/0.75)^2)xTF^2x2xPi/180 = 2889.77 in.lbs per degree (roll resistance of front springs)

you will notice that the formula does not equate to the answer and to obtain the answer i must devide.... which present me with a problem as my understanding of this particular aspect is clouded by my understanding of the units...

I realise this is probably a 'suck eggs' moment but can somebody explain in practical terms what is meant by in.lbs per degree... the amount of in.lbs per degree of roll but in.lbs is both a distance and a weight...

Any help with either or both of the above problems will be much appreciated.

Regards
    Jason

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

hello and Welcome
    suggest you read Race car suspension Class
    on t his mech eng forum posted Jul29-09

page two has calc for spring rates

merry Christmas
    rm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook