1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller coaster in a circular loop problem

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A roller coaster car is on a track that forms a circular loop of radius R in the vertical plane.

(a) If the car is to maintain contact with the track at the top of the loop, what is the minimum speed v that the car must have at the bottom of the loop? Ignore air resistance and rolling friction.
    (b) If the car has a speed 6v/5 at the bottom of the loop, then what will be force vector acting on the car by the track when it reaches the top of the loop? [v is the minimum speed calculated in (a).]
    (c) If the car has a speed 4v/5 at the bottom of the loop, locate the point on the track where the car ceases to maintain contact with the track.

2. Relevant equations
    0.5mv12 + mg(2R) - 0.5mv22 - mg(0) = 0.
    Fc = N - mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a), i just used the first eqn, sub in all the known datas, i got v = 2sqrt(gR) as the min speed needed.

For b), i assumed force vector needed is normal force. So at the top, i used the 2nd eqn, and i got N = Fc - mg = mv2/R - mg.

For c), i dunno how to attempt the qn. Hope you guys can help thx!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2
    Your answer for (a) looks dubious; recheck your working.
    For (c), consider how the centripetal force on the car varies with its position on the track (hint: use an angle approach). Then find the point where N = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook